General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Amazed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 16 Oct 2014 05:53

As some of you are aware, I have type 2 diabetes and have to monitor my blood glucose levels.

Yesterday, I went to buy some more testing strips for my monitor, and the shelf price was $69.95.

I am registered with the National Diabetes Services Scheme, which allows a discount on required products.

Showed my card, and my aged pension card, final cost $1.20 :-S

This is NOT a complaint, but a very pleasant observation :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Oct 2014 06:13

definitely a pleasant surprise :-)

Allan

Allan Report 16 Oct 2014 06:21

Oh yes, Sylvia! :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Oct 2014 06:43

$1.20 :-D That's wonderful!!

I wish I could get a discount on medication! :-(

Huia

Huia Report 16 Oct 2014 07:06

Wait until Australia signs the TPPA. :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Oct 2014 08:23

How odd!

Who, but a diabetic, who would most likely be registered as such, would want to buy glucose testing strips?

Allan

Allan Report 16 Oct 2014 08:47

I don't know, Sharron, but I'm glad that I do not have to pay full price :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 16 Oct 2014 10:16

Hi Allan,
pleasant indeed
but is some of the discount tied to your pension card? ;-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 16 Oct 2014 10:27

In the UK, test strips are free to type 1 diabetics.
I dont think type 2s are eligible?
A carton of 100 costs about £65 retail.
My T1 daughter needs to check her blood sugar at least 5 times per day, usually more if she feels shaky/sweaty
She tests at meals, bedtime, and she must check her glucose level at the end of her working day before she can drive home.

She could never afford to buy these on her income

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 16 Oct 2014 10:29

I am type 2 and get free strips from my doctors in the uk :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Oct 2014 12:45

Type 2 mother-in-law used to be given the strips.

Because she has it under control and has regular check-ups, the GP won't prescribe any more (It might also have something to do with her age - 90 in Dec)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Oct 2014 23:24

Glasgowlass, yes my daughter is also type 1 and checks several times a day just like yours. Mighty glad i dont have to pay what with the needles, lancets, 2 types of insulin plus the blood testing machine...phew so glad it's all free up here.

She had a 3 monthly test last week and now her average sugar level is 7.9. We have tried very hard to keep it in single figures.Not easy when your child is young and forever hungry.
How does yours fair?

Florence
in the hebrides :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 17 Oct 2014 17:16

Hi Florence
My daughter is 27yrs old but developed type1 less that 2 yrs ago ( at 25yrs)

She has really good control with meals and insulin, but it's building in activity/excercise that she finds difficult

For example: she has her lunch, injects insulin based on the carb count and current glucose level but , if she has a very busy afternoon at work, she uses up so much energy that her glucose level drops and has to eat something to avert a hypo.

If she knows that she is going to be more active, she does reduce her insulin but, it's hard to guess in advance!

She told me last week that she no longer looks at a plate and sees food.
Instead she sees a plate of full numbers to add up!

I have a feeling that her last HBA1C was also around 7.9

Anne

Ron2

Ron2 Report 17 Oct 2014 20:01

The NICE authority ruled some years ago that only insulin dependant diabetics would be entitled to free testing gear. Since then anyone (Type 2 incl) who is prescribed Gliclazide is allowed free gear.

However for the other diabetics tis a post code (zip code) lottery. In town where I live some GPs will and some wont prescribe to other diabetics. In past prior to starting taking Gliclazide I paid £27 for 50 test strips and £12 for 204 lancets and that's incl after reaching age of 65

Barbara

Barbara Report 17 Oct 2014 21:25

My OH is type 2 but takes insulin. He must therefore test before drives and every two hours whilst driving yet NHS mean on how many they allow him

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Oct 2014 22:52

Yes Anne counting carbs is what we do instead of calories.

So difficult sometimes as you say when exercising.

When my daughter decides to go swimming we time it for after lunch and check counts just before she goes. if they were only 5 or 6, i would make her take a small snack so they wouldnt drop too low and recheck after shes finished her swim.

it works all the time we are on time with our meals. But if we go shopping after work/college and not home til after 6pm then the counts go up a bit.

Im a stickler for routine so generally keep it all on track, but during the day she has to work it out herself which shes not too bad at, just lacks some will power sometimes!! as we all do I guess.

barbara my daughter is applying for her provisional licence and has been told if she took a "hypo" she wouldnt be able to drive for 2 hours minimum afterwards even if she recovered quickly and bloods were ok. This could be a worry if and when she eventually starts driving.

Florence
in the hebrides

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 17 Oct 2014 23:22

Hi Florence,
My daughter has plenty of will power and I am extremely thankful every day for it

She knows when her glucose is low and has no problems with the snacks, the calories or even the sugar content .
If her usual cereal bar isn't to hand, she is perfectly happy with a chocolate bar, or fizzy drink

I am so proud of her because she is also a recovering anorexic!