General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 16 Oct 2014 10:36

Are electoral registers available for 1939 to 1945, does anyone know please
Trying to find why MIL was living at a certain address when her husband was away on service.
Many thanks
Phyll

Andrew

Andrew Report 16 Oct 2014 11:08

I don't think the ER were drawn up during the war years.

Andy

Phyll

Phyll Report 16 Oct 2014 11:15

Thanks Andy. I did wonder if that was the case.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Oct 2014 11:15

No, they weren't. You might find one for 1939 as they were complied before war broke out. Similarly there could be one for 1945

She might have been evacuated, or living with relatives. If he was in the RAF or Navy, she might have taken lodgings near his Base.

Phyll

Phyll Report 16 Oct 2014 12:21

Thanks DetEcTive
It was a long shot. We know where she was but not with whom she was living. She wasn't near OH's base.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Oct 2014 13:58

If you know the address ( it sounds as if you do) it should be easy enough to check that location before and after the war years in local archives in the hope that the same people were there at both dates.

I was really suprised to look at old electoral lists and see a previously unheard of man was living at my parents' address with them

Through putting his name into Ancestry, we found that he had moved because of his work to Hampshire, so I can only guess that my father ( in the same line of work) suggested the man lodge with them during his posting.

Gwyn

Phyll

Phyll Report 18 Oct 2014 15:46

Thanks Gwyn
I hadn't thought of doing that but will certainly have a look when we go to The Keep.

Phyll