General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Faulty Hip Replacement.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara Ann in Somerset

Barbara Ann in Somerset Report 18 Oct 2014 10:40

Hi ,I was just wondering if any one here has had a faulty hip , my Husband had a hip replacement in 2007 he has had blood tests over the last few months and they have found high levels of metals in his blood, he is have the replacement replaced on Nov 8th, just wondered in any one on here has the same problem.

Thankyou barbara.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Oct 2014 11:40

I haven't had the same problem myself but in 2008 when I had my knee replacement I met a lady from Scotland who was having her second hip replacement done at the same time. About 11 months later she found that she had been given one of the faulty replacements and had to have it removed and a new hip put in.

She was obviously anxious about it but the new ceramic replacement has been fine and she doesn't seem to have had any bad side effects since.

Hope your husband's operation goes well and he is soon on the mend.

Kath. x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Oct 2014 12:07

Supercrutch has had an horrendous time with a faulty hip replacement

My friend's Dad had a knee replacement on 22nd May this year - the op was a complete success BUT the nursing staff failed to take care of the rest of him - he developed bed sores on his heels and ended up being hospitalised until September!!! He wasn't able to walk on his new knee and is unable to return to his home, so is living with my pal

the district nurse calls every other day to dress his heel - it could take months for him to fully recover from that

Barbara Ann in Somerset

Barbara Ann in Somerset Report 18 Oct 2014 13:07

Hi Kathleenbell, My Husband will have the ceramic one put in, so we hope there will be no more problems, he has no symtoms except when he had a blood test it showed a very high amount of metals in his blood which is very dangerous and hosp. said it must be replaced, only found out in the last few days.

Thankyou for your input ....

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Oct 2014 13:17

Sue will probably see this when she looks in. (Supercrutch)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 18 Oct 2014 14:11

Hi Barbara,

If I can help with advice from my experience I'd be very happy to try.

Please message me.

Sue x

Barbara Ann in Somerset

Barbara Ann in Somerset Report 19 Oct 2014 09:37

Hi Sue, Have sent you a message. Thankyou.

Mersey

Mersey Report 19 Oct 2014 09:52

Hope all goes well for you Barbara :-)

Barbara Ann in Somerset

Barbara Ann in Somerset Report 19 Oct 2014 10:13

Hi Mersey, thankyou, we never expected this to happen, this hip was banned the year after Gary had it done ,dont know if we can get any compensation because of it, at least this time we are retired when he had it done he was working and of for nearly 4 months as he was a hgv driver.