General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have just realized

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2014 11:58

Fred has been dead six months, we have the entire run of the house at all times of the day and night and we still go upstairs at about eight o'clock and watch tele in bed and we still have breakfast upstairs.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Oct 2014 12:03

Old habits, die hard

(excuse the pun)

Bob

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Oct 2014 12:03

six month!!! how time flies - it'll take longer than that for you to get used to being without him <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2014 12:20

We still look out for the carers in the evening too.

lavender

lavender Report 18 Oct 2014 14:43

As long as you remember to look after yourselves now, Sharron.

<3 :-)

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 18 Oct 2014 17:12

It takes time to re-adjust to new habits and routines. Just take it as it comes and be kind to yourself when you forget.

It took me 2 years to stop checking the clock when Dad died as for 6mths I had phoned him every night at the same time.

You had a routine for many years with Fred and you canĀ“t be expected to change that "over night"
Take care xx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Oct 2014 20:59

<3

It took months and months for me to stop saying "I must tell Mum that...." I often picked up the 'phone to call her, then burst into tears.

As Lavender said........ look after yourselves!! Keep having breakfast in bed, sounds like you enjoy that now....... but watch out for crumbs :-D

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 18 Oct 2014 21:50

Sharron 6 months !!!! where did the time go.
I lost my lovely Dad on Tuesday of this week, so hard, it was so sudden and I nearly phoned him last night at 9pm as I usually do. It will be a sad day for us all on Thursday when we say our goodbyes.
You take care of yourself Sharron. <3 :-(

Island

Island Report 18 Oct 2014 21:54

That 6 months has gone fast :-0

Sylvia, I'm so sorry for your loss <3

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 18 Oct 2014 21:59

Thank you Island x

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2014 23:53

You look after yourself too Sylvia.

Must be hard to lose him suddenly.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 19 Oct 2014 00:56

Thank you Sharron it was very sudden and he was a very active man

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2014 11:05

So he would not have wanted to hang about being a sick old man and you didn't have to watch him being frustrated by illness or incapacity.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 19 Oct 2014 15:20

Sylvia - thoughts to you and yours <3

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 19 Oct 2014 15:26

I came home in December 2009 from a 6 mth stay in hospital. Even now I lay on the edge of a KS bed! This also happened when OH was in Cyprus for a week last month.

I think it is mainly that I have a bed lever and need to be close to grab it in order to get up. I have deliberately moved further to the middle but have woken back on the edge.

As has been said - old habits die hard.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 19 Oct 2014 23:48

You are right Sharron ,if Dad had survived he would have been on dialysis because his kidneys had failed. He must have felt unwell for a while we were told but always said he was fine and looked it. He came to stay with us in July and our friends and neighbours could not believe how active he still kept. He would not have wanted to be dependent on a machine.
Thank you Chris for your kind words.
xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Oct 2014 23:58

Sorry for your loss, Sylvia. It's hard for the family when loved ones die suddenly - but much better for the person concerned.

<3 <3

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 20 Oct 2014 00:05

Thank you Maggie, hard be believe he has gone. It was thought he had a water infection and we travelled to see him thinking we could bring him home with us until he got better. My two brothers were abroad at the time. xx