General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Flies Bite

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 18 Oct 2014 18:15

After spending all summer with only the odd mozzie bite, I have found myself constantly being bitten now. A friend said it´s flies I wasn´t sure, but had to admit it was only flies I had seen around.
So I checked on line and YES flies do bite nasty little things :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2014 18:27

So do ladybirds. I had one on my arm chewing away at my skin.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 18 Oct 2014 18:59

Ouch Sharron I didn´t know ladybirds did., but then I didn´t realise flies did. :-0

wisechild

wisechild Report 19 Oct 2014 06:37

They certainly do Uzzie.
One got me on the corner of my eye on Friday. My eye is now red & swollen.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Oct 2014 08:00

I was attacked by sandflies last week. I look like I have measles on my legs.

:-(

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Oct 2014 11:01

My friend was bitten on her leg by a mossie earlier this year...on top of a large tattoo

Infection set in and spread to the point that she had to have the tattoo surgically removed and replaced with a skin graft

She then developed blood poisoning and she was told that the only option left was amputation of her lower leg.
By pure luck, a visiting surgeon said that he'd seen this before and the infection was caused by a chemical found only in the red tattoo ink which had seeped into bloodstream with the infection
The correct antibiotic was found but 6 months on, she is still off work and her graft is healing very slowly.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 20 Oct 2014 18:25

Glasgow Lass I now know why I have no tattoos

Wisechild I hope your eye heals soon
Lady scozz I did know in the back of my mind that sand flies are biters as they are dangerous to dogs especially white dogs, but didn´t think about humans.
I am now watching every time I see a fly trying to work out what fly they are !

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 Oct 2014 06:49

I get plagued by mozzies when abroad, despite using repellent, and really suffered, but when I was in Crete a couple of years ago a fellow traveller told me to try Fenistil gel to ease the itch and it really works. I have used it since in the UK when something bites me,

Maybe you can get it in Spain Uzzi, to ease your itches. Do tell why sandflies are bad for white dogs etc.

Never knew that about tattoos, GL, but am glad I never had any. Your friend had a lucky escape from losing her leg, great that the visiting surgeon recognised her problem. Hope her graft heals well.

Lizxx

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 21 Oct 2014 08:49

I didn't realise that flies bite, but thought that they pierced skin with the proboscis and injected eggs into the flesh........

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Oct 2014 13:13

Mossies' make a three course meal out of me

now I wear avon skin so soft original and they tend stay away :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 22 Oct 2014 02:17

I always use the Avon stuff too I have always loved the perfume.

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Oct 2014 02:49

Now that it's spring/summer I must find my bottle of oil :-D

Joy ~ I use Avon's Skin so Soft oil, with a dash of Dettol. I tried Baby Oil, but it didn't work as well.

SSS+D works for me.... it keeps away the sub-tropical bugs.

:-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 22 Oct 2014 09:25

my butler never gets bitten :-D