General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MOUSE BALLS NOW AVAILABLE AS REPLACEMENTS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Oct 2014 10:57

(This is an actual memo)

If a mouse fails to operate, or should perform erratically, it may be in need of ball replacement. Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should be attempted by trained personnel only.

Before ordering, determine the type of mouse balls required by examining the underside of each mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ, depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method, and domestic balls by the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive, however, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge.

Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each service technician has a pair of balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction, and that any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary functional items.

Mersey

Mersey Report 19 Oct 2014 10:59

Well I never knew that :-D :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Oct 2014 11:00

me neither :-D

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Oct 2014 11:01

Off to check >>>>>>>>>>>>> :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 19 Oct 2014 11:05

Have you got meeces Mr M :-D

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Oct 2014 11:07

No furry ones Mersey and the mouse on the computer hasn't got any balls :-S

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Oct 2014 11:36

This was an actual alert to IBM Field Engineers that went out to all IBM Branch Offices some years ago. The person who wrote it was very serious. The rest of us may find it rather humorous.

I have an almost word for word copy from back in 2007. The final para reads: Please keep in mind that a customer without properly working balls is an unhappy customer.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 19 Oct 2014 11:43

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D alas I fear some individual will manage to read this in the way their puritanical mind interprets it ;-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Oct 2014 16:10

Many a mouseball is rendered near useless by the ingress of fluff! :-D

BrianW

BrianW Report 19 Oct 2014 20:46

Seriously - it's not usually the mouse balls that cause problems but dirt and fluff on the two rollers that they contact with and turn to make the cursor go up and down or left and right.
This make the cursor to move unevenly.
Usually you twist the cover under the mouse anticlockwise and drop the ball out.
You can then use a small screwdriver or similar to carefully scrape the fluff off the rollers, drop the ball back in, replace the cover and everything should now operate smoothly.
But of course, modern mice are optical and don't suffer the same problem.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Oct 2014 21:02

When mouses had balls, I was forever taking the balls out and de-fluffing them :-|

.....one of the problems with having cats......

Looking at the mouse in my hand now, it has hairs sticking out of it :-(

Kense

Kense Report 19 Oct 2014 21:18

This has been around since at least 1989. It is unlikely that it was sent as a serious memo.