General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Chick Flicks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2014 23:07

I actually managed to do some ironing today so I must be getting back on form a little.

OH still has Sky at the moment and he is hoping to be able to persuade me to let him keep it. If he had not had it I don't think the ironing would have been done.

All day I have been watching what he has come to regard as my chick flicks on Sky whilst beavering away with the Morphy Richards.

Yes, I have had a whole day of watching the programmes about WW2 and Hitler.

lavender

lavender Report 19 Oct 2014 23:12

That's good news you have managed some ironing today, Sharron.

There is nothing more impossible when feeling under the weather. When I had severe depression many moons ago, I remember only being able to iron one garment before taking to my bed for half an hour!

Tv certainly helps the ironing pile reduce though, doesn't it?!

Mount Everest tomo, love, S x :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2014 23:18

I can't do anything that is not absolutely straightforward at the moment.

Neighbour gave me some crab apples so I stewed up some to make jelly.

Unfortunately the jelly bag was not in the drawer where it should be so the crabs were left to go mouldy and went on the compost heap.

OH found the jelly bag today. Right at the back of the drawer where it was supposed to be. This was while I was fighting the last war.

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 19 Oct 2014 23:26

Thats why I spend so much time on the computer and not watching tv. thats all OH has on the tv is WW2 programmes.
We only have a freeview box so we dont get an awful lot of choice of tv. I've recently got Netflix for the winter. Looks good for us as there is alot of series I would of liked to of watched but would of missed when on weekly.

Anne

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Oct 2014 23:30

My sister (older than me) irons to recordings of those house sale programmes.
She also actually irons her sheets :-0

I did ask her if she irons her knickers yet - she must be getting near to wearing huge armpit high ones :-D

.....she's still talking to me........

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2014 23:40

OH was only too happy to go and look for the jelly bag.

I'm sure he thinks I'm a neo-Nazi.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Oct 2014 01:05

I hate ironing....... there's usually a basket of stuff and things hanging on the clotheshorse in the spare room.

My excuse is..... the shirts will get wrinkled in the wardrobe, I'll iron them as I need them....... how often do I wear shirts?

I can't do the ironing in front of the tv........ there's two flights of stairs between them!

On the subject of apples........ has anyone tried to make apple butter? I have a recipe, but it takes HOURS, wondering if it's worth the bother.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 20 Oct 2014 11:03

My OH still has 10yrs of work before he can retire.

He needs 5 collared shirts per week and has about 25 in his wardrobe.
I usually iron in front of the TV on a Sunday evening but only from Mar-Sep

OH takes over but only from Oct-Feb and irons into the early hours of a Monday morning whilst watching his beloved NFL footie.

Neither of us have done an ironing for a few weeks, but he has enough to cover next week.
(I've just realised that he will be at Wembley next Sunday for the London game, so I'll have to do his shirts for the following week)

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2014 11:38

I might bring myself to do some more today but it won't be the same if I can't watch Hitler at the same time!

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 20 Oct 2014 11:56

Has anyone tried the "five minute dash" for overwhelming tasks?

Set the kitchen timer for just five minutes and rush at the job in hand. Even in such a short time I seem to make some progress and somtimes feel that as I have started I may as well finish! Does not always work but usually worth a try.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Oct 2014 12:12

My OH usually does all the ironing. He can't bear to see it waiting so almost does it as it is dry. And he irons sheets. But we don't have a tumble drier so they are quite crumpled.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 20 Oct 2014 21:58

wash it dry it fold it put it in there rooms

iron it do it your self :-D :-D :-D

you can see i dont like ironing :-D :-D :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 21 Oct 2014 03:04

I have to do more ironing in summer than in winter :-(

Most of my summer clothes are cotton...... when they get washed they're more wrinkled than I am.

I bought some bamboo fabric clothes last week........ no ironing! I must get back to that shop :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Oct 2014 08:16

'Ironing' - what's that all about? Some new pastime activity perhaps?

What are the ironing rules?

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2014 08:47

Don't touch the flat bit at the bottom!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Oct 2014 09:02

there are such things as ironing services not very costly at all

Inflicting ironing onto ones loved other half is cruel.

for most anything but biz shirts a tumble dryer will produce adequate results.

Surely people have better things. to do than iron clothes ... make some money for instance.

Ironing jam and Jerusalem?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 21 Oct 2014 09:13

I quite like ironing, I stick something on TV or listen to music whilst doing it. No way would I pay someone to do it. Don't have a tumble dryer - clothes are dried on the line or on a 'sheila maid' airer. No need to make money, been there, done that, got the high blood pressure.... :-D