General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Transferring stuff to Windows 8.1 - Advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Oct 2014 20:44

We have decided that it is time to change our ancient XP computer for a new one with Windows 8.1.

OH knows quite a bit but is not a real expert. We know that everything has to be transferred to an external hard drive and then, hopefully, re-loaded on to the new computer. This can take ages, as it all has to be done item by item!

By Googling OH has found several sites with down loads (at varying prices) which can apparently do all this for you, including transferring things like current application licences.

Has anyone tried any of these and if so did it work as promised?

The ones he is looking at are:

ZINSTALL - which transfers everything.

LAPLINK PC MOVER PROFESSIONAL - which has several versions and you can be selective.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 21 Oct 2014 21:22

Not really item by item just folder by folder, I moved everything I wanted to take to folders on the desktop and then copied them to an external hard drive, very easy.
Remember you don't want programmes just photos, letters etc.

What you may well find is Windows 8.1 will not open many of the old XP created files, docs made in word for example.

Word does not usually come bundled with 8.1 you need to buy office, (about £99) or a third party software to open some old files.

Edit
Forgot to say I would be very wary of giving a third party access to my files.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 21 Oct 2014 21:25

Have you tried out 8.1 on (say) demo machines in somewhere like PC World? As I have read in various pc mags and online forums, Microsoft realised that there were a few mistakes with the design of 8, which is why 8.1 appeared pdq. Also, why they will be bringing out 10 (ie skipping 9) sometime next year which will include the 'old' start button.
Many individuals are happy with 8/8.1 once they got used to it. But many companies have never upgraded. And I did not like either - they work fine on touchscreen laptops, tablets, etc. but not so fine on desktops with non-touchscreen monitors. So when I ordered a new pc early this year from a small company that builds to order (to replace my own ancient XP) I had 7 installed rather than 8.1.
As to transferring data, yes I used an external drive. I bought one (with usb3 as the new pc has usb3 ports) that was more than capable of taking all of my data directories. Now it is permanently connected to the new pc, and Windows performs regular backups to it.
Whenever 10 arrives I suspect that 8/8.1 users will get offered a free upgrade. And I hope I won't have to pay too much.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Oct 2014 21:32

Thank you Mayfield.

Word isn't a problem as we don't use it. Everything is on Open Office, which is a free download.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 21 Oct 2014 21:33

Mayfield.
I have never had a problem with MS Office files. The software is designed to be backward compatible.
I have very old .xls/.doc files from many moons ago, and .xlsx/.docx files created with Office 2007. All open fine on the new pc, which has Office 2013.

I do agree that some other stuff does not transfer (or does not run well) as my old XP is 32bit system.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 21 Oct 2014 21:39

Hi inky1
Perhaps I did not explain well standard 8.1 only comes with notepad and another very basic word processing programme once you load office on yes it will open most old files. ;-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Oct 2014 21:47

Thank you Inky1.

The computer we are looking at comes with a mouse, so presumably doesn't have to be "touch screen". Just as well, as we are going to use our existing monitor.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 21 Oct 2014 21:53

I quite like 8.1 but although I bought a touch screen I hate the darn things !
I stick to a mouse and it works just fine with it don't worry about all the scare stories about it being useless for mouse operation :-D :-D :-D

Denis

Denis Report 22 Oct 2014 13:53

Why not wait until Windows 10 comes out next year? That is supposed to be touch screen friendly and replaces some of the things people don't like about 8 and 8.1

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 Oct 2014 14:11

I don't even use the touch pad on my tosh laptop

always used a mouse, via usb

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 22 Oct 2014 14:11

I agree that if Windows 10 is due it might be better to wait but I would never get the first issue as no doubt there will be glitches so better waiting till late 2015 or early 16 till it's sorted.

I suspect Andysmum has concerns about continuing to use XP without support for security issues.

General opinion is in computer forums and the press that continuing to use XP is very risky as flaws that are detected and fixes issued for Vista, they may well exist in XP and so criminals are given an extra heads up about weaknesses in the old system.

That was the main reason I upgraded from XP myself.

Waiting another year to change could be a little risky. :-0

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Oct 2014 12:10

Thank you all very much for your comments.

I apologise for the long delay in responding but we have been without Internet access for the last 3 days and have only just got it back - apparantly a fault at the local exchange which took ages to sort out because the weather had caused a major problem and nobody realised there were two separate issues. :-| :-|

Mayfield is right about not using XP any longer. Also I have read that 8.1 users will be able to download Windows 10 for free.

In the meantime, we have bought Laplink PC Mover Professional (see my first post) which allows you to do 3 different computers and has good reviews in several magazines. If it "does what it says on the tin" I will let you know idc because other non-experts like us might find it useful.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Oct 2014 12:44

It is amazing how many people shell out for the likes of the venerable Laplink when for free their is ftp ... In any case it is a bit passe to keep your data on the same computer as your OS. Safer by far to use a home NAS (network attached storage) device - some routers have one bundled in.

Windows10 is already available for free download from M$. After the entirely predictable disaster of Win8 it is ok ... basically Windows 7 start button and all, Windows 8 elements such as tiled apps only if you want them. OTOH if you have Windows 7 already and are happy not much point. Contrary to rumours there is a 32bit version.

People with OEM Windows 8.x shipped with their computer will probably not be getting a free upgrade unless the OEM decides to provide it which would be something new.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 Oct 2014 15:27

I get a man in. He is fantastic. And if he cannot get to me, he does remote access.

So much easier. Not too expensive, but for my peace of mind, he is worth every penny.

Am considering a new pc, will go for the 8.1. Looking at either an Acer or another Dell (but not too sure about it coming via courier). We know how parcels can be thrown about!!!

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 25 Oct 2014 17:37

Just a bit of a suggestion, this time I went for an all in one, I had been put off in case one bit broke and I had to replace the whole thing but in fact there is less risk than a laptop because the keyboard is separate.
The amount of space it saves over my old tower unit, monitor and separate speakers is fantastic! :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Oct 2014 11:53

I have a tablet, which in my opinion although a great search tool, not much use as you cannot save documents you find onto it. It saves photos etc., but need USB cables and memory sticks etc.

Had a tower originally, but my Dell is my 2nd laptop and in all honesty, I do prefer this when working on my tree.

Proably my age, even though I have been using computers for nearly 30 years!!!

:-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Oct 2014 13:01

You can save and edit documents fine with a tablet inc accessing stuff on other computers and vice versa. You can also print to networked printers over wifi. If you don't like the on screen virtual keyboard it is ez to attach a bluetooth one without any usb cable.

Local storage on a tablet tends to be limited but usually you can extend this with a usb data stick to 32GB.