General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suttons Box

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Oct 2014 22:26

Thought I needed a visit from Santa but I have a suspicion that he is not quite all he is supposed to be. It could just be that he really does know everything you have been up to because he hasn't been to me for years!

Anyway, because he can't be relied upon, I ordered one of those boxes that Suttons do at the end of a season. You pay £20 and they say you will get at least £100 worth of stuff.

This is the second time I have bought one and it came yesterday so Fred's mate and I opened it today.

We were like two kids, it was fun and now we have all sorts of thins that we don't really know what to do with. There are two fabric strawberry towers, sort of glorified shopping bags that you fill with compost and grow strawberries in. This, I suppose, will be in addition to the ones that run wild wherever they like in the garden.

There were not many seeds this time but plenty of propagator things and a bag of onion sets. There is string and wire and pots but, best of all, there is box that is going to fulfil the cat's dreams!

Does anybody else buy these boxes?

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 22 Oct 2014 22:33

No.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Oct 2014 22:45

No - but I might now..... :-D

Sounds like a lovely box of thrills and ideas :-D

I wonder if each box is different?

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Oct 2014 22:53

There were some lovely cards with poppies on them and they had a price tag of £4.99.

This is the second one I have bought and the last one had a basket with some compost and hyacinth bulbs. There was no way those hyacinths were being grown indoors, can't be in a room with them, so they went in the garden. My knitting is in the basket.

There was a big bag of grass seed which has never been opened and loads of those little peat pellets that swell up and those degradable pots. There are plenty of those this time too so I know my wet-room window sill is going to be full again this year with germinating seeds enjoying the heat of the heated towel rail.

I hate chilli but expect we will be growing the chilli seeds that came this time. No doubt one of the neighbours will relieve us of them, even if they are not eating enough marrow for my liking!

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 22 Oct 2014 23:00

i like the peat pellets. We use them all the time and they are so easy to plant when the seedlings are ready.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Oct 2014 23:06

Or, when I do them, when the seedlings have died.

I bet those bloody chillis will grow!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Oct 2014 01:31

Sounds good fun Sharron Could make a good gift for new gardener or someone who is redoing their garden.

If you end up with unwanted plants you could sell them or offer for swapping on gumtree etc

Enjoy yourself
Lizxx

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 23 Oct 2014 07:36

SHARRON THE STRAWBERRY HANGING BAG IS GREAT FOR
TUMBLING TOMS,I HAVE GOOD LUCK WITH THEM AND TINY PLUM TOMATOES,FIRST YEAR GROWING THEM IN A HANGING BASKET WE HAD OVER 700 OFF 3 PLANTS THIS YEAR NEAR THE SAME AMOUNT

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 23 Oct 2014 07:42

OH FORGOT
ALSO USE THE SUPERMARKET HESIAN TYPE
BAG BRILLIANT FOR GROWING IN AND AS THEY HAVE
HANDLES CAN BE MOVED EASY,I HAVE GROWN
POTOTOS
AND
ONIONS,

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Oct 2014 08:48

I have plenty of baskets. There was a nursery closing and they gave me a lot which I used for tumbling toms this year but didn't do so well with.

We tried the potato bags once as well. Won't be trying that again, not that I need to. My back garden is 125' x 20', a proper pre- war council house garden.

I have a fair few containers as well, enormous plastic flower pots that were just the right height for wheelchair gardening, had the unstoppable gardener ever deigned to get his hand dirty after he was in a wheelchair.

He did once, weeded the blueberry pot and pulled up a blueberry and, terrified that I might behave as he would, gave up on that!

We have the garden divided into two. There is my shed, the one that came with free erection, across the garden and Fred's mate can have his straight lines behind it but I have my havoc between the shed and the kitchen.

The front garden is a bit of a dumping ground for any flowers plants and shrub things we might have to grub out of the back where Fred had them.

There is a great drift of sage in the front garden, and a container full in the back because it was our greatest success story to date. My couple of plants became an infestation!