General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I don't believe it................

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Oct 2014 12:35

Yesterday our new double oven was delivered and installed. OH started checking it over only to discover that the grill pan did NOT have a handle - if we wish to have one we have to purchase it.

Now in 58 years I have had many ovens, gas/electric/bottled but never ever had a grill pan without a handle.

OH blames me!!! I should have checked that pan had a handle. I, being a mere female assumed that there would be one.

I shall be writing a review on this one :-S

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Oct 2014 12:38

where did you go, IKEA ?

Merlin

Merlin Report 23 Oct 2014 12:57

We recently purchased a New Bloomberg Electric Cooker,there was,nt one with that ,fortunately I kept the one from the old cooker we replaced.they seem to be cutting out things that were accepted as part of a normal cooker to save money. :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Oct 2014 13:01

don't unpack it

as people will expect you to cook that means washing it ect to :-D :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Oct 2014 13:10

Curry's. Unfortunately the delivery men took out the old and installed the new.

I had told OH to keep old pan and shelves!!! Why I do not know - however our pan will not match the size of the grill! It is a New World - certainly is to me - no pan handle :-D :-D

Merlin

Merlin Report 23 Oct 2014 13:21

They used to have lots of them in the (Klondike) Panhandlers. :-D :-D :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 23 Oct 2014 13:27

Chris,
Check the instructions for the grill
I got 2 new ovens in January made by Neff.

The door needs to be kept closed during the grilling cycle and therefore there is no handle for the pan .
So far, removing items from the grill, I have set fire to my oven gloves... twice!

Unlike my old ovens, the grill element covers the entire inside roof area which makes it difficult to remove the grill pan without touching the red hot element.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Oct 2014 13:54

Aaah - all other grills I have had (if in oven) have had to have the door open. Have asked OH for the instructions etc (he has a bad habit of ignoring any written instructions.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Oct 2014 14:45

Our built in double oven put into the new kitchen some time ago doesn't have a handle for the grill pan ,neither does the pan have the facility to attach on too it

the top oven is also the grill so you have to have it open to grill otherwise it switches off

its a hotpoint so seems to be the norm now

Not having a handle though for the grill pan is very annoying .how are you supposed to put the pan in and out ?? :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Oct 2014 14:50

Our fairly new double oven grill pan has a hook on contraption instead of a handle. The handle on our old grill pan stops the door from being shut out of the way when the top oven is not in use.

Have a look at Lakeland - I think they do two grill pans (with handles) - http://www.lakeland.co.uk/p13265/Lakeland-Grill-Pans

Andrew

Andrew Report 23 Oct 2014 15:15

We were looking at cookers recently and this appears to be quite common. Also found many cookers have a fixed grill, not variable, so its off or full power. Bl**dly stupuid idea.

Andy

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 23 Oct 2014 15:30

I've had mine since the beginning of the year and I still don't have a clue how the oven is meant to be used
Circo Therm?

On various oven settings, the grill portion kicks in to assist with browning.

I avoid these settings ( and this oven) but if I, say, make a cake, I have to place it in the oven at right angles or it doesn't colour?
Why should that make a difference? Although it does!

I bought two ovens which sit side by side.
One is the rather fancy ( expensive) version with a hide and slide door.
The second is a bit more basic and I much prefer using it!

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 Oct 2014 17:56

Oh dear I am going to buy a new double oven cooker tomorrow.
I will be definitely checking for a grill pan handle...

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Oct 2014 21:17

I have never had a grill pan with a handle in any oven on this side of the ocean, and we've been here now for over 45 years

Granted, all my cookers have had single ovens, with the grill at the top of the oven, and the baking element at the bottom.

We have to raise the top shelf to a higher level when using the grill, have the door partly open while grilling .............. and carefully lift out the grill pan using oven gloves, and avoid the grill element which covers the "roof" area.

Also, I have never had any control of the grill, other than "on" or "off"

If you close the oven door, the heat gets high enough to burn out the elements ............ been there, done that, had to have new elements and new thermostat installed.

It's just the way of life!

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 23 Oct 2014 22:56

my grill is in my oven and i don't never bother with the handle
i just use a tea towel
don't think iv even still got the handle

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Oct 2014 00:47

My grill pan (separate grill above oven) has a handle that hooks on, to the grill pan as and when needed. This means it can be shut when not in use.

*memo to self* - keep the handle when you get rid of the cooker :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 Oct 2014 06:52

I have to learn how to use various types of cooker when we stay in holiday cottages, and still prefer the cooker I have here, which I got secondhand when the old one o.h. had, bit the dust.

It's the same cooker I got for my own house years back, an eye level grill one. It's so much easier than bending down (wearing varifocals) to see how something is doing under the grill, with the eye level one I can be doing something else in the kitchen and just glance across at the grill, which can also be turned to various levels of heat, with the pan having a metal stand inside which I can make higher or lower.

Would never chose a double oven, low level grill cooker, bending down is becoming harder as time goes on so anything that makes life easier suits me best.

Lizx