General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Every man remembered

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 23 Oct 2014 17:44

had a letter yesterday from the British legion say that they are aiming to get every man and woman who died in the First World War to be remembered by a person living today, you can have somebody from your own family or they select for you and they have selected for me Private Dixon Berry who 2nd November 1916 he was in the West Yorkshire Regiment and age 41 the son of John Henry Dixon Berry and Emma Beard of Rastick Brighouse Yorkshire. feel proud to be associated with this brave chap

Joeva

Joeva Report 23 Oct 2014 18:03

I have posted tributes to four of my family ancestors on the Every Man Remembered site..... also their names have been read out on the Roll of Honour at the Tower of London..... RIP George, George W, Albert and Alfred..... Lest we forget. <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Oct 2014 18:06

we did too . just because of hubbys surname they linked us with a chap with the same surname

Not unsympathetic but OH surname is one of the very common ones and his dad was born in 1901 illegitimate although he was registered in his dads surname as if his parents were married

NO WAY is the lad they linked us with is related / Whilst we appreciate the sacrifice those lads made we dont want to be made to feel we have to contribute

On my own side of the family we did have lads who lost their lives and for them and their families I feel the utmost sadness for the loss of sons .husbands,brothers

Joeva

Joeva Report 23 Oct 2014 18:44

Hello Shirley, when you say 'we don't want to made to feel we have to contribute' do you mean to donate ? There is no obligation on both the sites I mentioned to give money, only to nominate a person that has perished fighting for their country...

Tawny

Tawny Report 24 Oct 2014 20:30

I too posted tributes to two of my family members like so many others just boys of 19 and 21 at the time. Rest in Peace Herbert and Edward.