General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is your private info safe?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Oct 2014 18:16

Not according to this conversation I found on another site (Don't jump into the referred to website without reading the whole conversation)

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showthread.php/109372-Free-Electoral-Role

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 23 Oct 2014 18:42

I think the electoral rolls are regarded as information already in the public domain - if someone researches them and put names together they obviously can though it would only be to add knowledge to already known facts as the electoral rolls don't give relationships. It's all on 192.com anyway, isn't it?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Oct 2014 19:03

What I find strange is, despite never registering online, and usually ticking the box, they not only have my real name - but also have 'me' living at the address - as my e-mail name - which is a nickname I used to have! :-S

I wonder where they got the e-mail name from :-|

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Oct 2014 19:28

Sites sell their lists either officially or unauth. by employees. Good money. Then there are 101 India scams based on UK banks and DVLC offshoring soon to be joined by the NHS. The full electoral roll is accessible to anybody with credentials which includes for instance Wonga. DVLA car reg again avail to anybody with creds eg the fine upstanding private parking scammers. Despite the hammering on phone messages taken by the press the methods work just as well as they ever did.
Privacy?
Minority report.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 23 Oct 2014 23:51

well dont believe that
thay have daughter with her 3 different names
1 is her birth name
1 is her nick name
1 is her deed poll name

best bite is thay have deed poll name spelt wrong

and my other daughter thay have her down with her partners surname name
she dont even go by his name
so i do no this for share is not from electoral roll

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Oct 2014 23:54

Google your own name, you might get a shock! Also look for your 'phone number.

:-(

You can run, but you can't hide! :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Oct 2014 00:14

I've googled both my real name, and my nickname (Hotmail name) and have found 1 ancestry entry that contains - nothing. I replied to a post on there once.
I don't use my 'proper' name on facebook, I use my Hotmail name, so unless you know it, or I e-mail you on it (G-mail has my 'normal' name, but don't use this for the internet - only job enquiries etc) you won't find it, which means finding me in my Hotmail name living in my own house a bit creepy. I have e-mailed local MP's using this account - are they responsible for this breach of privacy?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Oct 2014 09:36

That's an eye opener we have always opted out but guess the info is before that option was given

It has us both at our address supposedly since 1980 .we have been here longer that that ! And it gives my approx age which is only a little out

You wonder where the spammers get your address for crap mail ,now we know

jax

jax Report 24 Oct 2014 12:29

I didn't look at the house I am in now, but it showed the house I
Lived in from 1982 -95 and the price we sold it for in 1998. The house I lived in previously was not listed nor could I find anything for 1995 -2009