General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Church of the What?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry

Barry Report 23 Oct 2014 19:05

An ancestor of mine married in Glasgow in 1882. According to the certificate, the ceremony was held after " Banns according to the forms of the Church of the Future".
Can anyone throw any light on this church?
Barry M

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Oct 2014 20:14

nothing coming up on Google - can you give us details of this wedding please?

patchem

patchem Report 23 Oct 2014 20:37

Definitely not this:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/exploringourmatrix/2014/02/church-of-the-future.html

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 23 Oct 2014 21:17

Maybe this will be of help................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hately_Waddell

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 23 Oct 2014 21:17

I hold dozens of copies of Glasgow marriages performed after Banns according to ...many different denominations ... but I've never seen this?
Are you certain that it says 'Future"

Who performed the ceremony?
The name of the clergyman will be written on the certificate.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 23 Oct 2014 21:33

Read the Wikipedia link GlasgowLass.

The first part of he life of Peter Hately Waddell.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Oct 2014 21:39

Waddell was the son of James Waddell of Balquhatston, and was born at Balquhatston House, Slamannan, Stirlingshire on 19 May 1817. His father soon afterwards disposed of the property and removed to Glasgow, and Waddell was educated in the high school and at the university of Glasgow. He was a student of divinity at the time of the disruption of 1843 of the Church of Scotland, and then cast in his lot with the seceders, who afterwards formed the free church of Scotland. Having been licensed as a preacher, in 1843 he was ordained as minister of Rhynie, Aberdeenshire, and in the following year he removed to Girvan, Ayrshire, to the pastorate of a small free-church congregation. His attachment to the free church was loosened when he found that its members intended to retain in the entirety the rigid definitions contained in the Westminster confession of faith. He had outgrown his early Calvinistic training, and, finding himself at variance with the church of his adoption, he voluntarily resigned his charge, and founded an independent chapel at Girvan styled ‘the Church of the Future,’ defining his aims and intentions in a discourse with the same title, published in Glasgow in 1861. Many of his congregation left the free church and joined with him. Waddell remained at Girvan till 1862,

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Oct 2014 21:41

Essays On Faith: Amazon.co.uk: Peter Hately Waddell: Books

www.amazon.co.uk › Books › Religion & Spirituality

By Peter Hately Waddell ·
Paperback

Buy Essays On Faith by Peter Hately Waddell (ISBN: 9781141667949) from Amazon's Book Store. Free UK delivery on eligible orders.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 23 Oct 2014 21:41

Our posts crossed Mr M but I've now read the link.

I wonder if he married this couple, as the dates do fit?

Barry

Barry Report 24 Oct 2014 19:08

My thanks to all who helped to solve this poser. The marriage was performed at 27 Port Dundas Road, Glasgow on 24/3/1882 by Peter Hately Waddell. Cross one more puzzle off the list!
Regards,
Barry M