General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Expensive week this one - lift broke

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Oct 2014 23:07

Took delivery of the double oven and a new gas fire Wednesday. Tonight at 9.00 p.m. needed to go upstairs, plonked myself down on my witches chair and nothing.
OH rushed for the bible on it - there is an emergency wheel - turn wheel once to advance chair 1". There are 14 treads on our stairs.

Rang our engineer - not in - left message. Nothing for it - unless I sleep downstairs and I have not climbed those stairs in 3 years.

Off we go, OH behind me holding my oxygen tube out of way - one step at a time holding like mad on to the bannisters then rest. Eating puffer every two steps, eventually at top - OH rushed to get chair - sat for about 20 minutes until puff back to continue on my merry way.

Engineer rings back - OH carries out instructions - engineer come tomorrow - thinks it is motor. Happy happy days and tomorrow large bedroom window to be measured for replacement as seal has broken down.

Do not worry about inheritance taxes - won't be enough left to buy a box of dog food! :-0

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Oct 2014 00:07

Oh dear Chris.
I can just imagine the great effort needed to get yourself upstairs.
I hope you have a restful night's sleep after that ordeal and the engineer can get things quickly sorted tomorrow.

Gwyn

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Oct 2014 00:19

Has the insurance run out?

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 Oct 2014 06:54

Never rains but what it pours eh Chris? Hope you soon get the stair lift fixed and everything else goes to plan.

Lizx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Oct 2014 08:27

But you did it Chris!!! Well done even if it was an effort and you won't want to do it again in a hurry. Hope you get it fixed soon. <3 <3

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 24 Oct 2014 13:12

Ann - that is exactly what OH says - to quote 'we???? shall have to incorporate stairs again in our??? exercise programme'. OK for him he has a good set of lungs.

Engineer rung - be here in 30 mins. No insurance - but independent engineer very good and reasonable. First service done by manufacturer - took 30 minutes OH not impressed. Rang following year to book service and refused to do unless I paid for 5 years. Then they tormented me with phone calls I hit the yellow pages. Young man took nearly two hours, ran sweet as a nut and a lot cheaper. He rings each February to see if we require a service.

Do not mind paying for anything well done but ripped off - no.

I feel as if I could be hung on clothes line! :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 24 Oct 2014 15:51

Lift working again.