General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cheek!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 25 Oct 2014 07:36

A friend of ours died in July.
Shortly before he died he bought new spectacles from the Spanish equivilent of Specsavers & paid €50, with the balance of €150 to be paid in 3 quarterly instalments .
The company have contacted his executors who have explained that the estate is not yet settled so they are unable to release any funds.
This is a small town & our friend was from a prominent family.
The opticians have now contacted his Sister in Law & asked her to settle the bill.
She´s not even a beneficiary from the will & even if she was, she´s under no obligation to settle his bills.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2014 09:47

cheek indeed - some companies have no shame

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Oct 2014 09:49

I assume she has told them to take a jump???

I think, if it was UK, they could claim from the estate before the money is sent to beneficiaries so I asssume it is the same there.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2014 09:51

and send the specs back to them - with instructions for where to place them :-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 25 Oct 2014 10:16

Technically, the money is owed to the company and the executors do have the power to pay all outstanding bills before the probate is granted, so there is no reason for them not to pay. Having said that, you would think that a large company would have the financial resources and the sensitivity just to write the debt off

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Oct 2014 11:15

Not knowing Spanish Law, if the Executors can't access the money from the Estate, the opticians will just have to wait!

There is no way that the sister-in-law should be responsible for someone elses debt.

LindaC

LindaC Report 25 Oct 2014 14:05

When my father in law died a few years ago it was about a month after he had order some new glasses but he hadn't collected them. When he died I contacted the opticians and explained the circumstances. They said that there would be no charge and he hadn't even paid a deposit. As a result I have recommended this optician to several of my friends as I thought that the customer service was excellent.

wisechild

wisechild Report 25 Oct 2014 14:28

Under Spanish law, the estate can´t be disbursed until the beneficiaries have paid the Inhertance Tax.
There is no money in the Estate (Quite the reverse). The only asset is a very small apartment which has to be sold. Easier said than done in the present economic climate. Hundreds of similar properties have been on the market at give away prices for 5 years or more.
The opticians are going to have a long wait :-P :-P