General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Summertime ends

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2014 10:37

Don't forget to put your clocks back one hour tonight

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 25 Oct 2014 11:07

Another little snippet, probably of no importance to nearly all of us (as we`ll all be in the land of Nod) but from 2 am Sunday morning for a few hours the ATM`s of Lloyds Bank plus some internet banking facilities will be down due to maintenance.

Seems likely it may be due to the time change. :-S

There.... That's my useless bit of information for the day. ;-)

Glad I told you that ,aren`t you? :-D :-D :-D

pssssst... Morning Ann xx

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Oct 2014 11:36

How to set GMT with yr rolex GMT

(1) The first job is to correctly set the green 24hr hand to GMT. Only with this done properly will it be possible to quickly and easily keep track of your "home" time when traveling. To do this set the bezel so that it corresponds to the dial, ie both 12 o'clock markers at the 12 o'clock position.

(2) Next, go to http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.co.uk/ to find out current GMT. Unscrew the crown and pull it out to the 3rd position which will adjust the minute hand and the green 24 hour hand. Now set these hands to GMT by reference to the hour markers on the bezel and and the normal minute markers on the dial. Remember to account for the 24 hour bezel and ensure that, for example, to show 4pm the green hand is set to 16 on the bezel and not 4. You will see that at the moment (Aug) GMT will be an hour behind the "actual" time due to us currently being on British Summer Time. GMT should now be set and will be read off the green hand and the bezel whenever the bezel is "reset".

(3) Now push the crown in one click to position 2. This will set the "normal", shorter, hour hand only and along with this, the date. Now set the hour hand to local time by reference to the hour markers on the dial (for us at the moment, that means BST being 1 hour ahead of GMT). Remember to ensure the date will change at 12:00 midnight and not 12:00 midday.

:-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 25 Oct 2014 14:04

Anyone with a Rolex will need that extra hour just to reset their watch!

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 25 Oct 2014 14:16

I don't bother changing the clocks....leave
it to my OH :-D

If I was to follow Rollo's instructions it would be
time to change them back :-0 :-D

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 25 Oct 2014 18:37

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Oct 2014 19:34

One just asks ones Man to reset ones Rolex ;-)

kandj

kandj Report 25 Oct 2014 22:15

Thanks AnnC, your reminder is appreciated.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Oct 2014 22:23

Just done all the downstairs ones. We do have a lot of clocks for two people in a not very large house :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Oct 2014 00:50

...anyone else got a clock in the bathroom?.....

jax

jax Report 26 Oct 2014 03:06

Don't have any clocks and stopped wearing a watch a few years ago

Laptop, tablet and phone all change automatically.... I believe my car clock changes automatically as well

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 26 Oct 2014 14:10

Same her Jax, the last 10 yrs of my working life I was ruled by the watch on my wrist and a clock just a few feet in front of me on the facing wall.
On the day I decided to quit the rat race and retire I phoned up my place of work and told them that I had had enough and I was finishing in their employ, end of.
As simple as that... and the very first thing I did was take off my watch and shove it in a draw never to be used again that was 6 years ago and the watch is still there.

I reckon most youngsters growing up at the present time are going to be ruled by their mobile phones. My granddaughter goes to bed with hers and it awakes her in the morning. To be honest its virtually glued to her hand she`s never off it. Ah well this is progress, I suppose. :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Oct 2014 14:17

I have a clock in the bathroom - in fact I have a clock in every room in the house - two in some

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 26 Oct 2014 17:03

Good idea girls...but think I'll put a timer
in ours ;-) :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 Oct 2014 17:07

would you believe we have four in our Kitchen?

7 if you count cooker, radio, microwave............oh! plus one more in the smart meter readout......

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 Oct 2014 17:11

blinky eck its dark already, just turned 5 pm, and still nearly an hour before tea..........