General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 25 Oct 2014 13:17

Since when have we had to sign in to LDS? Used to be able to go to search without signing in.

Any info gratefully received.
Phyll

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Oct 2014 13:29

https://familysearch.org/

For searches just go straight for the search icon no sign in needed. The sign in used to be for LDS members but now you can register for an account as a friend. As a friend LDS will host yr tree for free.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Oct 2014 13:29

Someone else has said this, but I've been using it this morning with out having to.

On an occassion last year, I'd tried to access some records where it was necessary to sign in. Even after having created an account, it still didn't happen.
After various emails back and forth with Utah, it appears that those records could only be accessed from an LSD centre.......or at least, that's the message they seemed to be implying!

Some record images are linked to subscription sites, for which you either have to pay or log in if you are already a subscriber.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 25 Oct 2014 13:52

I registered with Family Search a few years ago just as they changed to "New Family Search"
I don't need to log in to search as normal but, a username and password is required to view certain records.
My LDS friend tried to explain the changes but it went over my head so... I simply signed up at the time!
I didn't need a host /friend to sign up?

EDIT:
I have just looked at my own acct with FS.
It was about 2 yrs ago that I joined and on registering, there was box asking if I was an LDS member
I have ticked NO and I am automatically signed in for 2 weeks at a time, after which I get logged out and have to sign in again.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 25 Oct 2014 14:06

You don't have to sign in to search and see the transcripts.
You do have to sign in to view certain original records and to request photocopies.

Phyll

Phyll Report 25 Oct 2014 14:06

Thank you all for your replies. Will probably not bother with them anymore.
Phyll

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Oct 2014 01:07

Phyll

don't be like that!

I have never signed in to LDS .................. I just go to the site, click on Search, then on Records

and away I go!

If you want to look at LDS member submitted information, then you click on All Collections.

Nothing has changed from when I first started using them back in 2004

In fact, that Sign In has been there for at least 5 years ;-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Oct 2014 03:50

I get to the familysearch site via my software (RootsMagic), and don't have to sign in.

:-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Oct 2014 07:44

Guess who had to Google LDS to see what you were talking about.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Oct 2014 08:46

use it all the time - never signed in

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Oct 2014 08:59

Sharron - I'll send my cousin (the Bishop) over to see you :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 26 Oct 2014 12:11

I thought you were all brazenly discussing LSD.

Some of my colleagues 'sign in' at the Dole Office every week.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 26 Oct 2014 13:22

Nothing has changed on FS.
We can still access everything that we could before it changed to New Family Search.

However, with a username and password, it's possible to access images of certain records.
Here is a random example:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVMN-GRSY

To the right of the screen it says" View the free image by signing in"

I have now signed in and can see the document

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 26 Oct 2014 14:16

I only have to log in when I'm ordering films.

Phyll

Phyll Report 26 Oct 2014 16:08

Well I tried but it won't let me log in??????

Phyll

Phyll Report 26 Oct 2014 16:35

All I get is a lot of listings on the left hand side of an otherwise blank page. I used to be able to click on search at the top of the page and seek whatever I was looking for.

I do, however, thank you all for your input and help.
Phyll

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Oct 2014 16:43

Might you behaving some sort of 'compatibility' problem??

Phyll

Phyll Report 26 Oct 2014 16:56

I'm sure I wouldn't have any idea Detective

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Oct 2014 16:58

it sounds as if there is some sort of problem ........ do you have a "guru" who could help you?

Because you should be able to access LDS as previously

Phyll

Phyll Report 26 Oct 2014 17:05

SylvaininCanada
Yes I will get my SIL to help me.
Once again many thanks for all your help (everyone)