General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspapers and general chat

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 25 Oct 2014 17:54

Hi

I have just upgraded my membership to include access to newspapers which has cost my nearly £40. I was very disappointed however that it appears that it is not possible to view anything after 1950, despite a bracket from 1950 to 1999. I did not see anything in the offer which I received, prompting me to join. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help.
Sue

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Oct 2014 19:07

Welcome to the boards Susan

You are correct, there is nothing on GR later than 1949. If you are unlikely to use it to search for earlier articles, you could try for a refund by emailing them direct

[email protected]
OR
[email protected]

The British Newspaper Archive could hold articles for later dates
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Oct 2014 11:32

The British Newspaper Archives is far better than here.

I found records on there that I was unable to find on here!!!

Also you can take out a weekend pass (ie 24 hrs). Which in all honesty, if you make a note of all those you want to look up, is more that enough time. I did this and found all I needed one Saturday evening. Then on Sunday just browsed.

Hope this helps. :-D

SueCar

SueCar Report 26 Oct 2014 12:17

Thank you for the link, DetEcTive. I have had a quick look and not found the name I was searching for but I have added the site to my favourites, so I have it again in the future.

The thing is, a person might only want to look up stuff now and again and £19.93 is a lot to pay considering what you have already paid for platinum membership or whatever. :-0

Inky1

Inky1 Report 26 Oct 2014 13:45

Follow the link supplied above by DET, and look to the bottom of the screen.

© 2014 brightsolid Newspaper Archive Ltd

The DCT group, of which GR is a part, host the British Newspaper Archives. Reasonable to presume that the GR records are from that same database. But apparently not the complete set.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 26 Oct 2014 13:55

Suggestion (you may have already tried this).

On the Archive site use the advanced search to see if there are any records that might pertain to what you are after. (Of course you would not be able to view them without payment.)
Come back onto GR and see if you can locate the same records (year, county, etc..) If not, ask GR why.