General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christmas Cake

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 27 Oct 2014 16:47

I usually make mine in an 8" tin but I want to make an oblong one in my loaf tin. Problem is I'm not sure what quantities of stuff to use. Anyone help please,
I think the loaf tin is for a 1lb weight. Terrible cook, got all the equipment but very rarely use it.
Phyll

wisechild

wisechild Report 27 Oct 2014 16:58

I´ve always made mine in an 8in square tin, but last year using the same quantities I made 2 1lb loaf tins as I wanted to give one a s a present.
Only thing you need to watch is the cooking time. Found they took much less than expected.

Phyll

Phyll Report 27 Oct 2014 17:50

Thank you wisechild. We can always put custard on it and have it as a pudding if it fails dismally.

LindaC

LindaC Report 27 Oct 2014 20:20

I would calculate how much fluid the 8 inch contains using a pint measuring jug and do the same for the tin you would like to use and you should be able to work out the quantities from that when you know how much bigger or smaller the loaf tin is - hope that makes sense!

Phyll

Phyll Report 27 Oct 2014 20:29

Er.....................

Guess I could work it out over time but maths is not my strong subject. It does make sense. It is all going to be trial and error. Have bought enough to make the 8" one if it all goes wrong. Blooming expensive but hey ho it's that time of year again

Thanks to all

Phyll

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Oct 2014 21:38

If it starts to go too dark while cooking, put some foil loosely over the top.

I'll eat a small piece if someone gave it to me (don't particularly like it), but I hate it when the top is burned. :-(