General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Their not all cheap!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 27 Oct 2014 19:25

Anyone who says the town council in Witney is cheap, better not say it in my hearing. :-P I just received 2 grave locations, which they change 20 pounds each for, for free!! all because it would be too problematic to collect their money.

OHH sometimes it pays to live outside the country!!! :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Oct 2014 19:32

That would be a lot of money per grave location. The few I had a few years ago were all free.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Oct 2014 20:08

It was £20 in 1990 to have one grave details from a London Council..they dont refund if not found.

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 27 Oct 2014 20:54

Thanks to a very kind person here, I had all the information that they would need to find them, they have been lost for soooooooooo long. To bad my grandfather isn't around anymore, he would be trilled with all I have found out.

Now I don't know how graveyards are numbered but shouldn't Charles [1089] have a lower number than his brother Hubert [1010] who died eight years later? At least they ended up in the same section, not to far apart.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 Oct 2014 21:40

I think numbering depends on the type of graveyard.

Old village churches weren't numbered until recently, when genealogy became popular at about the same time as the "Topple test" was introduced. I visited one church a few years ago and happened to meet the person responsible for numbering. She had just finished doing it and was very helpful.

Large purpose-built cemeteries though were numbered from the start, mainly because they were so big.

So small churchyards are numbered in rows and large cemeteries chronologically - although there are sometimes exceptions!!