General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WARNING- EMAIL SCAM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 30 Oct 2014 15:02

I have just opened an email from my cousin who I met through GR.

I hovered the mouse over her name and the correct email address came up, a hotmail account.

However it was NOT from my cousin but someone who is using her account.

It was marked URGENT.

I panicked after seeing the gist, which was asking me to send nearly £2,500, saying she was visiting a relative in the Ukraine and was in trouble.

I have deleted it, and I hope that it hasn't infected my Gmail account. I did not open an attachment, so I hope I am ok this time.

DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAILS FROM ME (supposedly) UNLESS I HAVE PMed YOU FIRST TO WARN YOU.

Also if any of you have my email address, please would you also PM me first if you are going to send me an email, so that I know that it is genuine.

Thanks, JEM :-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 30 Oct 2014 15:30

Don't worry. We get these and so long as you don't click on any links or open any attachments you'll be OK. :-) :-)

OH even had one - supposedly from his brother!!! offering him a Russian wife!! on receipt of the appropriate air fare. :-) :-) :-)

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 30 Oct 2014 15:51

I'm still waiting on my £500,000 from Nigeria :-)

Andrew

Andrew Report 30 Oct 2014 16:04

Only £500,000?

Cheapstakes, usually £Millions.

Andy

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 30 Oct 2014 16:16

Has that one only just got to you Jemima?
Gosh, I received it more than 3years ago!

I went to see a comedy show at the Edinburgh Festival this year and the comic based the show on this very subject.
Scamming The Scammers.
It was hysterical and the opening story was based on this exact email.
The upshot was that the comic decided to play the scammer at his own game until eventually, with dozens of emails back and forth.... the scammer called the recipient a "Horrible, Nasty Cheat."

Everyone in the audience was given a pin badge on exit.

Mine says " Please Help Me. I'm A Nigerian Prince"

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Oct 2014 16:18

It won't have done any damage Jem, if it did there would be loads of us with a problem. :-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 30 Oct 2014 18:39

Thankyou all for your advice :-) :-)

My email account got badly hacked into last year, and so I am very nervous about that type of thing now.

Fortunately, I had heard of that particular scam before, so immediately deleted. I shall now write to my cousin to warn her.

GlasgowLass, that show sounded very funny :-D :-D

Thanks again
Jem :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 30 Oct 2014 18:51

they are just spam ive had them

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 30 Oct 2014 20:21

I have been receiving 'mail' from my phone/broadband provider - stating problem with paying my account.

Shame it appears after the account has been settled!

Paperwork looks very good.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 30 Oct 2014 23:10

I know a Nigerian dentist....... I wonder if he's a prince :-S