General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Station Picker Uppers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 30 Oct 2014 17:32

I'm turning into an auld grump but..

Our local train station operates on a narrow, one way system .
It has space for around 100 cars, so by 7.30am all spaces are used up.
By 4.30pm the station car park is starting to clear and by 5pm more than half the spaces are empty.
By the time the next train is due in, dozens of cars arrive, all waiting to collect someone coming OFF the train.
No one considers pulling into a parking space, instead they snake in a long line all the way past the station entrance.

It means that anyone who drives in at this time, wishing to get ON that train or even visit the newsagent can forget it, because access to both the car park and it's numerous available spaces is now blocked by pick- up cars.

I got stuck in the line again tonight, because I was dropping my daughter off to CATCH the train .
10 mins after the train came in and left, I was still in the queue waiting to get out.

Note to self:
Remember to drop off at a bus stop... she can walk the rest of the way!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Oct 2014 07:47

Why not write a letter to your local paper about this and send a copy to the station and local police, they might be able to sort out something different.

Lizx

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 31 Oct 2014 09:14

Don't get me started about station car parks, where I lived before I moved here I lived in a "Private Road" which was just down from the local station car park, the parking available in our road was only enough to cover the number of houses in our road. It cost £2 to park all day in the station car park and there were always spaces available - even at busy times.

You would not believe the problems we had with commuters dumping their cars in our road around 8am in the morning, rushing to catch the train up to London, and returning usually around 6pm to 7pm in the evening, this despite, a large notice at the entrance to the road stating "Private Road - No Parking Except For Residents" commuters ignored this and caused a lot of inconvenience for the people who lived in our road.

We contacted the local council and the police about this and were told that although it was classed as a private road, it was a road that had been adopted by the council, as such and because the council, had not and were not going to, impose any parking restrictions, nothing could be done.

Several of us decided we would do something, suffice to say a lot of commuters very quickly learned how to change a wheel with a flat tyre - word of mouth soon made sure rail commuters were aware it was not safe to park in our road :-D