General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tower of London Poppies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Nov 2014 17:26

The Historic Royal Palaces have just produced this amazing film, done by drones, of the poppies at the Tower of London. I hope you will look at it, especially those who have no choice but to miss the real thing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30004315

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Nov 2014 17:47

I've seen a recording that was done last week by grandaughter,,,,,amazing sea of colour,

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Nov 2014 17:48

Thank you that is wonderful to watch.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 11 Nov 2014 17:52

nameslessone - an amazing achievement and a fitting tribute to the fallen <3

I would love to have gone up town to see them - but there is just no way I can get from where I am in Kent to the Tower of London with my mobility scooter :-(

Thank You for sharing that link :-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 11 Nov 2014 17:53

Did anyone watch "The Andrew Marr show ""on Sunday just gone..

The people who were with Andrew were discussing what should be done with them..

One of the people was Sheila Hancock and she said"What I would like to do with all the Ceramic Poppies would be to run a truck over the lot of them and break them down just like the soldiers were.

I personnaly thought the suggestion went too far.

Don't think she realised that Myself anf thousands of other people had payed £25 for each one of the poppies.

The other people said they need to be left until the end of the month.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Nov 2014 09:06

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am hoping to see the real thing on Friday - in the rain!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Nov 2014 09:27

As we were due in London yesterday afternoon we made sure we went early to see the Poppies. Still lots of people going but the poppies are being removed fast. Such a shame the weeping window had already gone.

It was fascinating to see the poppies being 'picked', they are wheelbarrowed through the thick mud to tents where the spike is removed and then the poppy head is placed in a multi sectioned packing box.

We also saw the FGW Poppy engine and a lovely London Bus all in white covered with poppies. The link to Flickr page is vast - so just google London poppy bus + 2014 and it is the third picture.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 15 Nov 2014 17:29

I saw Sheila Hancock say that, and I was a bit surprised.

However, she has back-tracked on those comments in the days following.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 22 Nov 2014 14:10

I received my poppy today. Was a bit worried when I found they were using Yodel as the courier and, sure enough, when I tracked it online, they supposedly tried to deliver at 8pm last night and had left a card - no card - and we were in all day and evening and the dog didn't bark! After pfaffing about this morning, I finally got to talk to someone and then had to contact the local person - luckily it arrived safely. But I've had to put off various things in order to stay in and wait for them - grrrr!

It will not be that easy to assemble but it's lovely :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Nov 2014 14:14

So glad it arrived safely.

What have you got to do to 'assemble' it?

Don't know which company delivered a parcel to our house in the dark a few days ago but the parcel was thrown at me and hit me in the mouth.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Dec 2014 10:00

A new short video piece which includes a speeded up section of the poppies being removed before packing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30272811

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 1 Dec 2014 13:20

Don't clamp the spike between your knees if you've got decent trousers on - and you may need some Vaseline :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Dec 2014 13:30

Context is so important. ;-)