General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cats

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Nov 2014 19:15

Do you think to much cream is bad for them ;-) ;-) ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2014 19:20

I do Joy :-)

Mind you Spike doesn't like cream, he prefers the water in the bird bath even if it is a bit leaf strewn , he sits there and paws the surface before drinking :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Nov 2014 19:23

I think to much could make them might sick Rose
and the fat content would give them a big fat Santa belly

OPPS I SEE THEY ALREADY HAVE ONE ;-) ;-)

bless my three :-D :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 12 Nov 2014 19:27

Whatever cream my cat consumes is determined by the amount I have left over after my Devon cream tea. He licks the leaving from my plate.

I know - I'm a disgusting pig! But the cat never complains as he ambles off licking his lips. And he has stopped bring in half-dead mice to me.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Nov 2014 19:31

my cats also lick the plate Dermot
but they do get a good long hot wash in the dishwasher
the plates not the cats
Scarlett sits on the bird table and waits for the birds to come to her
but she has never up to now brought me a mouse in
though one did enter the back door
and she had it before it got past the first chair leg
Touchwood is far to much of a princess to hunt

and Steve's to young to go outside :-D :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Nov 2014 19:40

mine doesn't like milk so wouldn't like cream - he likes rainwater

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Nov 2014 20:17

I am sure I read that milk is not good for cats. Our only ever liked water.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Nov 2014 20:35

Cats have no way to digest lactose so dairy products are not good for them.

OTOH mine quite likes real cream and creamy sauces with mussels, veal etc. and he is very healthy. So I guess a little once in a while is ok. He also likes a little Bertolli olive spread hot every morning - he eats it off a croissant. Since he took up with Bertolli no fur balls and nice glossy fur. He likes rainwater too. Dry spells can get a bit frantic.

Never ever let them near tomatoes or onions or stuff with these veg in it.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Nov 2014 20:36

dry spells!! if only ;-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Nov 2014 20:49

its been very wet here to Ann :-D :-D :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Nov 2014 20:58

my little Steve thinks he is human as he was hand reared by myself
he loves drinking coffee and eating pomegranates
and lamb and mint crisp :-D :-D

Jane

Jane Report 12 Nov 2014 21:05

We used to have a bottle of Gold Top delivered on a Saturday back in the 60's and our cat Peter would get the cream off the top :-D.He was quite partial to a good bit of Devon Clotted Cream too on the end of my fingers under the dining table :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Nov 2014 21:26

Milk isn't recommended for cats, as SOME are lactose intolerant - but then, so are humans. I suppose problems arise when an indoor cat is only given milk, with no way of getting water (unlike cats that can go out), so, I'd say they'll only eat/drink what doesn't upset them.

I've got 3 cats, siblings. One loves milk and will appear whenever I'm making a cuppa. One likes it occasionally, the other ......(excuse me, one's just got into a kitchen cupboard - first time ever :-| :-|)
The other one won't touch milk.
They have a huge dog-bowl of water constantly available.

Only the fat one (Mister Tubbs) who likes milk (and was in the cupboard) will lick plates/try to get on the worktop etc, but he knows it's frowned upon, and it happens very rarely.
They never beg for, or eat 'treats', because they've never been given them, and aren't too keen on 'human' food, as they've never been encouraged. But Tubbs will occasionally try his luck.

All 3 are hunters. Mr Tubbs (fat, slightly 'deformed' - bent tail, bandy, small head - bog ugly) will kill and eat rats and mice (leaving the skull, spine, tail and liver), George (very long and thin) occasionally kills a pigeon - how he gets it in the cat flap is a mystery - and will pluck it on the stairs. Betty (very fluffy - and a midget) goes for spiders, and will carry dragonflies and frogs in her mouth - but lets them go. Her favourite 'prey' are hair ties.

All 3 are the offspring of a rescue cat that I was told had been spayed. She had problems with her previous lot of kittens and when I got her, was still bearing stitches where she'd been sliced across the abdomen to get a kitten out. Vet forgot to spay her at the same time

:-|

Tawny

Tawny Report 12 Nov 2014 23:34

Gizmo will try to get milk despite it being semi skimmed and will also lick out yoghurt and custard pots. He can be sleeping anywhere in the house but always appears just before the joint gets carved on a Sunday no matter what time we carve it. His brother Rocky has a delicate stomach and as a result is quite a picky eater and won't touch anything but fish or cat food. Both cats are hunters but neither will eat what they catch and prefer to leave us presents.

lavender

lavender Report 13 Nov 2014 09:56

We would have six bottles of milk delivered daily.

One would be a Gold Top, Jane. That would always be for the Baby!

Probably wouldn't happen nowadays :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Nov 2014 12:01

two of my cats are strange
they are not keen on fish

where as Steve will eat anything at all
I still give him kitten milk sometimes
due to him not getting his mothers milk :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 13 Nov 2014 12:11

You should not feed cats cream or milk (same with Hedgehogs) it is really bad for their digestive systems.

You can buy special cat milk.

But in all honesty, plain water is more than sufficient. Cats rarely drink water, they get all the fluid they require from their food.

We put clean water down every day, from a bottle kept in the fridge, never straight from the tap, as they can smell the chemicals which dissipate once left in the fridge for a few hours.

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Nov 2014 16:23

"I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat".

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Nov 2014 16:40

As I said before - SOME cats are lactose intolerant - not all.

I only use un-homogenised gold top milk, so on the odd occasion my cats ASK for milk, they get the best :-D :-D

To be honest, If it caused them problems, why would they ask for it?