General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Post bemused!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Nov 2014 11:11

As I got back from the shops the two postment were unloading from their van ready to go off in different directions. Both new to us. I was indoors before the post came through the door. Two letters, both for the same person same number house, next road.

As she was only next door I went out into the road and called her, handed her the letters, pointed out the wrong address etc. She took them, didn't say anything, bent down and pulled out a huge parcel from her bag for my OH.

So, was the parcel in her bag because she wasn't going to deliver it or because she thought that she was in the other road? and when she continued her round why did she go on delivering letters from the pack that was in her hand (I did remind her it was the wrong road) Has everyone in our road now got letters for the next road?
:-S :-S

Don't suppose I shall ever know. Good job I was here though or goodness knows where OH's parcel would have ended up. :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Nov 2014 11:20

It is one of the benefits we were promised when they privatised Royal Mail :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Nov 2014 11:39

you could have ended up like Norris in Corrie - still waiting for a parcel :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Nov 2014 12:17

Lol!!!!

There was a red card with the parcel in the bag. I asked her why she had not delivered it and was it going back to the depot. She said 'yes, if you weren't in' I said 'but I was in'. she said, 'Hmm I duno then'.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Nov 2014 12:25

Getting ready for the Christmas Rush with temporary staff? Heaven help you!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Nov 2014 12:39

That is what I thought Det!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Nov 2014 12:40

they walk amongst us :-S

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Nov 2014 12:43

Sounds like temporary staff.

Right time of year for them to be delivering.

Odd for a postperson to bring parcels out with their letters, these days most parcels are delivered by a different postman who has a van and comes out earlier in the day when delivering the Special Delivery items which are time sensitive.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 14 Nov 2014 15:04

We live in a village and our postman always delivers parcels sent by Royal Mail.

If we aren't in he puts a card through the door and leaves them with a neighbour or at the village PO, about a mile along the road.

We have never had temporary staff at Christmas - I think they are mainly in towns.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 14 Nov 2014 17:25

At least it was only the next road. Our "Canary Islands" is often misread as "Cayman Islands". Sometimes they post it back more often it's never seen again. I have changed my postal address to Tenerife, Spain and it seems to be more reliable.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Nov 2014 17:40

And posting mail out of Lanzarote and Tenerife to UK sometimes goes via Malta. :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 14 Nov 2014 22:54

We get mail for strangers, with our address on the envelope :-(

I write "not at this address" on the envelope and send it back.

One lot were very persistent....... until I wrote in BIG BLOCK LETTERS...... I've been returning mail to you for months, any more will be BINNED! No more arrived.

Last week, the postman (we know him) came to our door and asked if we knew "Mary Smith"....... no..... another stranger who lives at our address. Looks like the local post office are paying attention.

Living in a small town has its benefits :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Nov 2014 23:04

our postman leave all the parcels of the people who work at my house
and I deliver them when they get home

saves the neighbours going all the way to the depot to collect them :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Nov 2014 23:18

for some time my house was getting letters from a insurance company for a different name.

was doing the "not known here" thing, and within a month would get another.....

eventually some info was visible through the address window so took it to a local private hospital...........who opened it and lo and behold it WAS for one of their patients.......an anagram of my house number.........

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Nov 2014 23:55

We were in a town in the north where OH's dad was born and where some of the family still lived but OH had not met them since he was about two so we thought we would try to track them down.

We eventually tracked down his dad's elderly cousin Vera who cooked us egg and chips ( we would have been happy with a cup of tea!) Let us say she lived 7 Daffodil Street which looked like a fair few other streets in that town.

She said she couldn't put us up for the night and we hadn't expected her to but the next morning we thought we would take her a box of chocolates as a thank you.

There was no answer when I knocked the door I thought was hers in Tulip Street so I pushed the chocolates through the letter box.

We rang her later to thank her and asked if she had enjoyed the chocolates which, of course, she had never seen.

Some time later, I saw on the news, that there had been some sort of domestic viokence in Tulip Street and that a jealous husband had set fire to the house.

I have always wondered if our chocolates had been the cause!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Nov 2014 08:04

Only last week I opened the door to see if there was any post in the porch . There was a card to say tried to deliver a parcel but you were out !! No we were in. An they didn't try to ring the door bell or try the knocker on the front door . The door bell is on the outside of the porch which wasn't locked

Beeeee annoying because the depot is a car ride away to pick up from and even though I rang to try arrange them to re deliver they wouldn't answer the phone .

Not the first time this has happened either .

I take in parcels too for neighbours who work . Remember how awkward it was for us when we both worked

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Nov 2014 08:46

We know the local postal workers.

If DH is out and about, he sometimes get a wave from the postie in the van... and gets a parcel :-D

They know I'm usually at home, I've often been hanging out washing (at the side of the house), no response at the front door.... the postie looks for me and gives me a parcel :-D

Until recently, when the "bigwigs" came to inspect the locals, our postie wore a Hawaiian shirt on his rounds. Now they all have to wear post office approved uniforms.

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Nov 2014 08:56

Remember when the crown was on the side of the postman's van?

As a little person of tender years I thought the velvet in the middle of the crown was the bums of cattle.

You have to remember that I saw a lot of the back ends of bullocks but not a lot of pageantry where I lived.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Nov 2014 09:32

Lol sharron.

We often take in parcels, in fact this week the parcel postie staggered down three houses (he must have seen me in the kitchen window) to ask if we'd take in this enormous box. Luckily OH was in to carry it in. Yes the lady works, but her next door neighbours (our age) were in. I am wondering if they refused to take it.

fortunately if they are in our immediate neighbours (front doors face), will take our mail in but they work, although he works mainly from home.

Oh we still get mail from a building society/bank for the people who lived here 22 years ago despite me always sending it back.