General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dolls hospitals.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 14 Nov 2014 11:14

My wife's old doll "Susan", which she got out of storage has a shattered hand, we wonder if my Teddy "Ted" might have got a bit naughty and she punched him ;-)

We were wondering about sending her to a dolls hospital, has anyone used one they can recommend please?

Susan is from the early 50's so is only plastic and not worth any great sum, but we would like to get her a transplant if possible :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Nov 2014 11:25

I remember my aunt taking my cousins doll that had it's head broken to a Doll;s Hospital in Edinburgh many many years ago - I am sure there are still some around, may be few and far between - have you tried a search online for Doll's Hospitals?

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 14 Nov 2014 11:28

Yes OFITG, I have found a couple, but have no idea how good they might be.
I am in Sussex, but as I will probably have to post her off anyway location is not that important.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Nov 2014 11:30

No Reviews available?

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 14 Nov 2014 11:34

Good idea, but I have just tried Thompson, Yel and general search for reviews but no luck.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Nov 2014 11:40

Recollect Dolls Hospital
17 Junction Road
Burgess Hill
West Sussex
RH15 0HR
Phone: 01444 871 052

http://www.dollshospital.co.uk/pageID_8403357.html

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 14 Nov 2014 12:16

Thanks OFITG that's one of the two I was thinking about.
Has anyone used them please?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Nov 2014 12:28

You go first Mayfield. If they are any good we'll take Rosebud (same vinatge) along.:-D

Our children were allowed to carefully play with her until one, who has old enough to look where she was going, stepped on her head :-|

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 14 Nov 2014 12:43

There is one in Lewes but I think they concentrate on antique dolls and teddies.

http://www.suepearson.co.uk/

Their window displays are always charming
:-)

Chris

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Nov 2014 13:58

one of Stray favourite dollies Panacular (strange name)
had her fingers nibbled off by one of my cats ;-) ;-)

Phyll

Phyll Report 14 Nov 2014 14:48

I have used the one in Burgess Hill and they were exceptionally good. One of mine needed new hair but because she still had some of the original he said to leave it alone as it would be worth more money in the end. Thoroughly recommend them.
Phyll

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 14 Nov 2014 15:47

There is am excelent one based in Stafford, the surgery has a 9-12 week waiting list!

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 14 Nov 2014 16:29

Thank you all for your help.
As Phyll has used the Burgess Hill one we have contacted them and they were very helpful, seems poor Susan may have Hard Plastic doll disease common in Pedigree dolls!
She is going to have a scan (with our camera) and get a remote diagnosis via the internet then her fate will be decided. Watch here for the exciting or sad outcome of this new soap saga! :-D :-D

lavender

lavender Report 14 Nov 2014 22:37

dolls-hospital.com

Say they have 25 yrs experience, I don't know anything about them, though. Based in Cheshire.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 14 Nov 2014 22:42

None of my dollies survived........ my brothers murdered them :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Nov 2014 01:28

Most of my old 50's dolls are in bits due to the elastc bands perishing and I have often wished that our local doll's hospital was still open to get them fixed. Will have to sort them out and get them mended. Sadly my Mum threw away several of my dolls and my pink teddy too.

Lizx

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 15 Nov 2014 03:10

I have a teddy that was my uncles until I was 12, then my ummmmmmm dog eat him, all that was left was a little bit of stuffing under the table when I got home from school and the dog had a big grin on his face :-| He never did like 'Ted' for some reason, I was always chasing him around the house

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Nov 2014 04:36

Oh that's sad Shy. Poor old Ted. Mine was a pink teddy given to me by a grown up cousin when I was tiny, it was new I think. For some reason as I got older I called it by a neighbour's son's Christian name which is now also the name of my partner! Wonder why I picked that name out lol? One of my baby dolls was called Leslie, and that's the name of my o.h.'s grandfather. Spooky eh, I mean those names I chose weren't ordinary ones for the 50s. Leslie is now in a box with loose limbs and a wobbly head. Then there is my little black baby doll called Dinah. Still have her as well but my fabric bodied doll with a plastic face, called Susan, is long gone. I dropped her on the concrete one day and bashed her nose in and somehow got hold of chewing gum and stuck it in to give her a nose!

I also had a walkie talkie doll, one that said Mama and kind of walked on it's own but that was thrown out by Mother, I had trimmed it's hair and it was almost bald. It had a sort of chalky china head and eyes that opened and closed, with 'real' lashes on. It was the cheaper version from our local market and nothing like the one some of my friends had, which I coveted badly. Poor Margaret didn't perform as well as the expensive ones, which my parents couldn't afford. Oh and there's another coincidence, my o.h.'s ex is called Margaret. Maybe I have some kind of second sight lol

Lizx

When my Mum sorted some things out she found a small baby doll my brother had, called Tony. My brother grew up to be a strapping 6' 3" tall lol