General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cholesterol Success

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 17 Nov 2014 17:34

It can't be more than a couple of weeks or so since I had my high cholesterol test which prompted me to clean up my eating.

Hope I can keep it up as it has reduced from 6.2 to 4.2.

GP said I have avoided the statins.

I'm putting it down to no saturated fat, I'm avoiding red meat, reading packets to avoid vegetable palm oil, but eating lots of olive and rapeseed oil, nuts, dried fruit and oat bran morning and night. Also, a B**ecol yoghurt drink containing plant sterols.

Hurrah!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Nov 2014 17:39

Well done!! :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 17 Nov 2014 17:50

Yep

Well done Lavender. ;-)

lavender

lavender Report 17 Nov 2014 18:12

I'm doing a Highland Jig whilst I cook my roast chicken.

Thank you x :-D

Annx

Annx Report 17 Nov 2014 18:46

Well they say exercise also helps Lavender so keep jigging!! :-D It just proves you can help yourself with changes doesn't it. I have those Benecol drinks too.....the Light one of course.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Nov 2014 19:14

How to cook Chicken...

Get chicken
Have a glass of wine
Stuff chicken
have another glass of wine
Put chicken into hot oven
Relax with another glass of wine
Chick the bastey
Wine another glass to get
Hunt for meat thermometer
Glass yourself another wine pour
Bake the wine for 4 hours
Remove the oven from the Chicken
Tet sable
Wobble another bine
Chick the carvery

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 17 Nov 2014 19:54

I had to go on a re-hab programme after one of my heart attacks, which included advice on diet. The dietician was telling us that red wine is good for us as it is an anti-oxidant. She didn't like it when I said that the previous Saturday I had got as anti-oxidised as a newt. Bob

lavender

lavender Report 17 Nov 2014 19:58

Shame I don't like alcohol! :-D

but I do like salmon..

Linda

Linda Report 17 Nov 2014 22:23

Well done Lavender!!!

unfortunately for me I have had to go on statins,

I had my cholestral checked in April it was 7. something so I went to the gym in july for 2 months I lost weight and went down to 5st 11ibs..my cholestrol has went up even more to 11.3. my gp has put me on the statins a week ago.

my diet is of fruit vegetables and salad, I don`t eat anything fried lke chips ect.
I have put some weight back on to 6st 3ibs. I am only 4ft 10...

where am I going wrong!!!!

lavender

lavender Report 17 Nov 2014 23:02

I'm no expert Linda, but I'm guessing you must have the family inherited high cholesterol.

I would have gone on the statins if I thought my diet had been healthy the last year or two and I weighed as little as you. My grandmother was unable to digest fat after being in a concentration camp for four years as a small child. She barely ate any meat, but lived on fish, vegetables and fruit yet I think she must have had high cholesterol as she got heart problems in the end.

It sounds important for you to take the statins, Linda. Oily fish is very good, as are nuts. Bad luck for you, I hope that you don't get any problems with taking them.

Linda

Linda Report 17 Nov 2014 23:26

Lavender

Thank you for your reply, yes you have explained very well and yes I will take them statins every day..

I guess the body will always be a mystery!

lavender

lavender Report 18 Nov 2014 00:01

I was reading up about high cholesterol last week, Linda. It explained that people with the family inherited problem even affected children with extremely high levels. It mentioned figures of 12.

Don't beat yourself up about it, like you say the body is a mystery and everybody is different. I think that I was just fortunate in this instant, mine had been lowish in previous years but due to compulsively eating on the wrong foods after a stressful couple of years, it had gone too high. :-)