General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer Help on Youtube Sound! :-)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annx

Annx Report 22 Nov 2014 14:25

I'm puzzled. :-S I used to have no trouble with sound on my PC, but since the last couple of months I can't get any sound on things I play on Youtube. The sound on iplayer works and I can play videos with sound on other sites. I have checked the connections on my PC in case any connections were a bit weak so it isn't that. Any ideas anyone?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 Nov 2014 14:28

Is the sound on the tube video muted?
sometimes I've found it off

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Nov 2014 14:40

Most YouTube stuff uses Flash. Make sure that you have the latest version installed and that it has not been disabled in your browser. As Bob says the sound volume control for the Flash object is separate from Windows and it can be muted sometimes.

Some over zealous security programs/router setups block Flash. Usually this is a problem in schools & office networks but sometimes it happens to the home user.

Apple platforms do not support Flash.

Annx

Annx Report 22 Nov 2014 15:31

Thanks Bob and Rollo. I really can't believe it....I thought 'no it can't be that', but it WAS. I think my brain must have been 'muted' not to spot it!!

Rollo, I had problems updating my flash player recently. I had to 'system restore' a week ago as updating it also gave me other gubbins like a new home page and lots of popup adverts both sides of the screen.....a nightmare! It wouldn't let me disable anything and I uninstalled some things I saw to do with it, but it made no difference. When I tried to save my old homepage, the new one still appeared again when I opened my browser, so 'system restore' was my last resort. At some point I expect I will have to update it, but how to do it without the unwanted extras I don't know.

Thanks again......now I can put The Kinks on to listen to. :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Nov 2014 15:40

A very good free program for getting rid of malware and adware is Malware Bytes

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Even if yr system seems to be ok it is worth running this once a month.

Annx

Annx Report 22 Nov 2014 16:04

I just had a look at that Rollo and it looks good and I see it runs alongside your other computer protection. I will be downloading it.

Thank you again.......your knowledge and help on these things is much appreciated.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 22 Nov 2014 16:51

I found Malware bytes helpful in just the same situation - a new homepage had inserted itself and I couldn't get rid of it, even Kaspersky found nothing wrong and nothing I did in Programs worked either. Malware bytes is particularly good at sniffing out PUPS (potentially unwanted programmes) which is what this problem obviously was

Annx

Annx Report 22 Nov 2014 16:55

Thank you for that info Elizabeth...it's good to know it worked on what sounds like a similar problem.

magpie

magpie Report 22 Nov 2014 17:15

Hi, As you lovely people seem aux faux with computer problems I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a Kindle Fire HDX 7" which has been fine until a couple of weeks ago when an update was inflicted. Luckily most of it seems ok except for the Keyboard functions. One in particular I can't seem to get any more is the word recognition function, even though it is switched on, it simply doesn't work!!. This was SO useful as it would predict the word you were typing so that all you had to do was tap on it for it to appear on the screen saving typing time and misspellings. I have been onto Amazon who were very helpful, but could only suggest a full factory reboot which I am very reluctant to do as it clears the tablet, and unless you move everything it is a total loss of all data. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so is it resolvable without drastic action

Annx

Annx Report 22 Nov 2014 17:43

Is this 'next word prediction' you have lost Liz? Have you tried holding the space bar down, then tap 'keyboard settings' at the bottom of the menu that comes up. Then you can check if the 'next word prediction' in the list is OFF and change it to ON. I don't have a Kindle, so sorry if you have already checked this!

magpie

magpie Report 22 Nov 2014 18:29

Thanks for your help Ann. Yes I have done that. Problem is that it appears to be on(!!!!) and will go from on to off without any problem; But even though it shows on, when you tap the appropriate word nothing happens!! It was fine before the b....y update!! As I said I have spoken to Amazon, but they are scratching their heads. They seem to think it's because they've changed the keyboard, and the new one doesn't recognise the function! I did rather feebly remark that I wished they'd left it ALONE, but there we are it's either a complete re jig or settling for the fairly minor inconvenience. I just wondered if anyone else had this problem and if they had any way of solving it peacefully if you see what I mean!!) Thanks again.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Nov 2014 18:40

This will fix yr keyboard problem.
It involves replacing the Amazon customised version of Android with the real thing. Access to Amazon store etc etc works just the same as usual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVuvR-hHOLE

magpie

magpie Report 25 Nov 2014 09:41

Thanks Rollo. I've had a look at the video but it is far too complicated for what is a minor irritation!! also my Kindle is still under guarantee and I don't want to risk jeopardising that should another problem occur! I will be taking it into the shop where I got it from and see if they can help. Apart from this minor hiccup, the kindle works well and does everything I want. Again Thanks for your help.