General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

On this day, 22 November 1963

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 22 Nov 2014 23:32

Dear All

Hello

51 years ago, President John F Kennedy was killed in Dallas, Texas.

Texas Governor John Connally was also seriously injured when one of the unknown sniper's bullets hit him.

The presidential party was driving from Dallas airport to the city centre when witnesses said shots were fired from the window of a building overlooking the road.

The mood of shock in the US was echoed by Senator Mike Mansfield
in an emergency forum of the senate.

"This is terrible - I cannot find words," he said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sincere wishes
Elizabeth,
xx

Von

Von Report 22 Nov 2014 23:39

I remember it well Elizabeth. I was at college and word spread quickly and everybody congregated in the TV room.
Hard to believe it was that long ago.
Take care
Von

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Nov 2014 00:12

I also remember it well.

I was at university ................ but a group of us were going to the cinema. As we entered the foyer, the word was going round.

We moved to Texas in 1967, went to Dallas in early 1968, and went to see the area where President Kennedy was killed.

Very moving

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Nov 2014 03:48

I was comung out of evening classes for typing and heard the news, I was 16 and hadn't long left school and went straight home to watch the news on tv. I was so sad for his children.

Lizx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Nov 2014 10:17

think it was a Friday night over here when the news broke - I had not long been married and we were living in rooms in a large house watching a very small TV when the announcer gave the news and the screen went blank

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 23 Nov 2014 10:36

If I recall correctly it was early evening here and the BBC followed the announcement with a screen showing a white silhouette of JFK on a black background... I was only 10

Linda

Linda Report 23 Nov 2014 16:51

I remember it so well Elizabeth I was 13 at the time and in the house on my ownI was glued to the tv and when my parents got home they had not heard the news so I was the one that broke the news to them we all sat there and cried. I think a great moment in history

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Nov 2014 17:41

I was staying with friends on a US SAC airbase in eastern England. Quite suddenly the scene changed from normal to everybody being quite out of their skulls with grief it was terrible. Women were screaming and crying men were hollering like a wounded stag.

My father's close friend John M. , an American, (hence invite to US base ) took me to his home and there his wife Isobel was crying a waterfall.

It is impossible to forget that day it was not just the death of a president but the crushing of a dream. Given what has happened since the presentiments of the US were not so wide of the mark.

John died a few years later during the Tet Christmas offensive at Da Nang in 1968. He was a helicopter pilot flying search & rescue. To be honest that broke me far more than the death of JFK.

There are many theories of who shot JFK. It is often blamed on Lee Harvey Oswald who conveniently was shot by Jack Ruby. The ballistics evidence though points at one of the bodyguards riding in the following car. Kennedy's family has a murky past rooted int bootlegging liquor from Canada during the Prohibition. The finger is often pointed at the Mob.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 23 Nov 2014 22:35

Dear All

Hello

Thank you all very much for taking the time
to give your personal experiences.

Always appreciated. <3

Take gentle care
Sincere wishes
Elizabeth,
xx