General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

We have a new postman

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Nov 2014 00:57

and I don't think he will last!! :-P

I got an email this morning, letting me know my parcel was "on board" and will be delivered today. I received the email at 8am, it's now 11.50am.

The postman has just been.

I'm sitting in the study, at the front of the house. I saw him come down the path, so went to the front door. The door is open, but there's a security screen door, if you're outside you can't see in, but if you're inside you can see out.

The parcel has obvious orange & black stickers on it "GLASS TAKE CARE".... and the postman DROPPED the parcel on the doormat! He didn't bend down at all.

I've unpacked it, a bottle of perfume in a box and wrapped in bubble wrap. Not broken, but that's not the point!

It's my Christmas present :-D

Barry_

Barry_ Report 24 Nov 2014 01:49

Perhaps you should have taken him to task on his irresponsible attitude with the mail!

His bosses will know no other about his attitude unless they are told.
A pity you do not have your delivery recorded to show his bosses.

Glad to know that your perfume was unbroken,
Merry Christmas, Lady Scozz.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Nov 2014 02:05

Most times I have to sign for parcels, not today.

Maybe he's really busy, being one of Santa's helpers, but that's NO excuse for dropping something marked "Glass"!!

I was so shocked when I saw him drop it, I was (unusual for me) speechless! He took off before I could even squeak.

:-(

I'll give the perfume box to DH later....... he has to wrap it, so that I'll be surprised on Christmas eve :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 24 Nov 2014 08:25

Generally speaking, UK's Royl Mail gives an excellent service for the price of a stamp costing a pittance.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 24 Nov 2014 12:33

Dermot,not with Royal Mail Parcels.Just sent a very light box(1kg) to my grandaughter
for her birthday.18th birthday key with Me to You teddy attached,couple of 18th badges and a ring.

Cost of parcel for delivery was £11-65 personnally I wouldn't call that a pittance.more like extortianate.

Dermot

Dermot Report 24 Nov 2014 12:37

Parcel sorting, of all sizes & weight, requires massive & expensive manual handling at all stages whereas most letters are dealt with mechanically at a rate of knots without much human intervention.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 Nov 2014 20:07

Would not worry too much about this. In 2 years when the 'excemption' of sales etc. runs out. There will be NO full time postmen only part timers. Or casuals.

There will only be 3/4 deliveries a week, less in rural areas.

Royal Mail is being forced out of business by the Government opening up all areas to competition, but still slapping enforcements on Royal Mail such as the universal delivery. Whereby the HAVE to deliver to every address in the UK, unlike their competitors who can cherry pick the high profit areas of the business.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 26 Nov 2014 01:05

My daughter's BF is a postie.
He has to deliver parcels regularly but works hard at getting to know people on his run and likes to engage in small talk.( a bit of a charmer really)
Almost every week, he is given chocolate bars and small treats by some of the "older" people on his run, and at Christmas... he always manages to earn extra in tips.

It pays to be nice if you are a postman!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Nov 2014 01:39

We met a postie at a family party in Glasgow.... he was a postie in Edinburgh, a friend of one of my cousins.

For some reason he was raving on about "bl**dy tourists and foreigners in Edinburgh".... he hadn't heard us speak at that time........ and said he hated being asked for directions, and always told people the wrong way. He shut up when he was introduced to "the rellies from Oz".

We joked any time we got a bit lost in the UK....... don't ask a postie! :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Nov 2014 04:23

Canada Post is also changing ........................ soon there will be hardly any deliveries to the door.

We only get deliveries once a day, 5 days a week, as it is, but the powers-that-be will be replacing home deliveries with "community mail boxes"

These already exist in new developments and in rural areas, but will be instituted in every city and town over the next 5 years.

Each community mail box has 20-40 individual mail boxes, one per registered address, each individually locked and supposedly secure. The mail delivery person has a key that opens up the whole front of the "community box", so s/he can put the mail in the correct (we hope) slots.

BUT THIEVES CAN ALSO MANAGE TO OPEN THE WHOLE FRONT!

............ thieves have even been known to drag the whole box off its foundation and take it away

The idea is that no-one will have to walk more than 1 kilometre to a box (and 1 km home again) ...................... the problem we all have is that there has to be space to install the community box, and space for parking for 2 or 3 cars

and where does one find that amount of space in a city?????

Vancouver Parks Board has already made it perfectly clear that no park space will be available, and the city council has said that street boulevards cannot be used.

Also ................. how many seniors, let alone disabled people or parents with small children, can walk 2 kms to get their mail?

On the other hand, Canada Post several years ago bought Purolator Canada, and offers really good deals to on-line companies through both the Post Office and Purolator to deliver parcels ............. so they're making a tidy little profit on them!

Our Post offices do not offer all the services that yours do .................. they do not sell licenses, run a savings bank, act as an agency for pensions, etc. They are purely and simply for handling mail and parcels.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 30 Nov 2014 23:50

The new postman has just been.

I watched him through the open door ......

and he bent over and put the parcel on the doormat!

This parcel had no stickers on it saying it was fragile...... maybe he only drops parcels marked fragile?

grrrrrrrrrr

This one is the bottle of Rose Hip capsules that I won last week. Yay!

All sorts of blurb came with it, lots of people swear by it......... if it's all true I should be dancing by Christmas :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Dec 2014 00:50

:-D :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Dec 2014 01:00

I've got letters between my grandparents in 1924..
Grandad wrote a postcard to granny in the morning, arranging meeting points the same day!

It was delivered in time for granny to read the message, travel 20 miles and meet him!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Dec 2014 01:05

I remember being able to do similar to that in the 1950s :-(

Certainly it was very common to post a letter one evening and have it delivered in the first post next morning

but I did get letters from friends posted in the morning that arrived in the second delivery.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 12 Dec 2014 11:29

Last year, for the first time ever, I gave my postman £10 at Christmas

This year, we still have the same one and I will definitely be doing the same.
He delivers our usual mail in the morning but for the last 3 days he has returned later in the afternoon delivering our online purchases.
( there are loads still to come)

My daughter's BF is a postie and explains that when he returns to the sorting office after his usual round, he has to either sort mail or go back out in the van with parcels until his shift ends.
At Christmas, Posties very rarely finish on time but the parcels have to be delivered and they don't get paid overtime!