General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Matches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 25 Nov 2014 03:58

I have just added some new members to my tree and little 'stars' appear on them with a number of people apparently having the same person in their tree. I thought they were 'hot matches' so went into my 'hot match' list, but there are no new entries in there. How do I see who the people are in those little stars on the news ancestors I have just added - to see if there is a link - or not.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 25 Nov 2014 07:18

I NEVER ADD ANY NAME UNLESS I HAVE EVIDENCE AND NEVER JUST FROM TREES,THE AMOUNT OF TIMES THEY
ADD BECAUSE ITS A NAME THE SAME AS THEIR LOOKING FOR
I COULD ADD HUNDREDS WITHOUT EVIDENCE,

Kense

Kense Report 25 Nov 2014 07:54

Just click on the star and a popup will appear telling you how many record matches and how many tree matches you have. Click on the type you want and a list should be displayed.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 25 Nov 2014 08:57

I've had NotMatches recently, matched with people I'm already in touch with.

On 10th & 15th November I received this.......

We looked for new Hot Matches but didn't find any. Try adding more relations to your tree.

Try adding more relations to my tree? There are (at last count) 19,650 names on my tree.

:-(

I know GR don't scan my whole tree, but this is just daft.

Anne

Anne Report 25 Nov 2014 22:43

Dizzi I don't add people to my tree unless I have certificate proof they relate to me. I couldn't imagine how many mismatched 'hot matches' would appear if I did that!

Kense - these little stars have numbers in them - 5 - 32 - 16 etc. I tried clicking on them to see if they then display a list of who these 5, 32 or 16 are - but nothing happens - which is why I thought they must be displayed on my 'hot match' list instead - but no..

LadyScozz - I haven't been back on this site for a long time because of ridiculous hot matches. I don't understand how you can have a date and place of birth for someone - and their death recorded against their name, and the system tells you you have a 'hot match' yet the person they are matching you with is born in a different country, different year of birth etc ! I have even been given a hot match for myself - and it's definitely not me they are giving me!

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 25 Nov 2014 23:12

Anne you have to place your cursor directly on the star and it should go a little darker then left click.

Anne

Anne Report 26 Nov 2014 00:08

ahhh - thank you - left clicking worked.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Nov 2014 04:35

Over the years, I've had some wild and wonderful Hot Matches with ones born at a very different time or in a different country, but this is my very favourite one, received last month .............

Mary Smith appears in 144 trees on Genes Reunited.
Here's just one of your possible matches...

My relation
Mary Smith

Y.O.B 1779
Place of Birth: Launton, Oxfordshire
No. of Children: 4

Possible match
Elizabeth Powell

Y.O.B 1685
Place of Birth: Towcester, Northamptonshire, England
No. of Children: Find out more

This Family Trump was matched on the 25/10/2014 03:12:07 with Carole's tree. There are 144 other possible matches for Elizabeth Powell on Genes Reunited - view them here.

I'm certain sure that "Carole" is very pleased that I did not contact her:-D

Anne

Anne Report 26 Nov 2014 06:51

SylviainCanada
Are the Hot Matches in the 'Hot Match' list different to the little stars that appear on your ancestor in the tree?

If so, what do you call them?

Kense

Kense Report 26 Nov 2014 09:05

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the result of clivking on the stars and record/tree matches doesn't appear on your tree window but is displayed on a GR page assuming you have one open.

The hot match software used to be run regularly and just worked on names and DoBs. It gave plenty of matches which one could ignore or switch off, otherwise you manually assessd from the birthplaces whether they were real or not.

Now the program seems to be run occasionally, only compares 50 randomly selected people from your tree, excludes Smiths and Joneses, and supposedly compares birthplaces as well, so it rarely finds a match.

When my tree was built on GR I eventually had about a hundred hot matches which were good. When I changed to hold my master tree offline and uploaded a GEDCOM, all the matches remained in the list but if I selected any one of them the match was either no longer there or did not match at all.

If the person with a matching tree has changed their tree before you look at your hot match with them, then the match may no longer be valid.

Anne

Anne Report 26 Nov 2014 10:06

Thanks KenSe
I think I'll stick with left clicking on those stars on the tree and messaging people I think may be a good possibility