General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cheap Fabrics

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 1 Dec 2014 22:51

I've been perplexed for a long time about the cheap quality of the fabrics used to make clothing for a long time.

When I was young, my mother's jumpers would have looked in lovely condition after many years of wear, sometimes even decades!

Today, the fabrics used, bobble after a wash or two. They literally are throw-away garments, not worthy of the price paid.

I hear little comment on the subject, it would seem that people have come to accept it, and young people seem to know no different.

I was shocked today to see how the quality of the garments had deteriorated even since last Christmas!

Even hand washing of jumpers doesn't stop the bobbling :-(

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 1 Dec 2014 23:11

Man made fibres are partly to blame I think Lavender :-(
Though personally I can't knit with wool, let alone wear it :-D

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 1 Dec 2014 23:15

I agree with you lavender.
I think they use more polyester type and the wool or whatever separates a bit and blobs.
You know I have some clothes that I've had for over 20 years and still are my favorites...mainly from M& S....and they're not what they used to be like.
A lot of this has happened since they outsourced the manufacture to eastern countries where it's cheap labour.
We do live in a throw away society which younger ones have got used to.
I'm afraid I don't like it and wonder what it's going to be like in the next few years.
Standards have certainly got worse and the quality has declined.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 1 Dec 2014 23:22

It depends on the mix of fabrics - some man-made ones are good. Jumpers can be a nightmare - OH bought some cheapie acrylic ones and they bobbled straightaway - no good for anything except DIY. His merino or lambswool ones are much better. I also avoid cashmere as this bobbles naturally.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 1 Dec 2014 23:34

Totally agree.

I used to make lots of my own clothes, but the fabric available in the shops is rubbish!

It's not worth spending my time making a garment, to have it fade, and wear out quickly.

I don't spend a lot of money on clothes, because (as Lavender said) they are now throwaway items. Two seasons if you're lucky.

I have clothes older than God...... and I'm looking after them! They're in better condition that any I've bought in the last few years.

:-(

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Dec 2014 13:46

I wash most clothes inside out and this helps to prevent many bobbles making the garment unsightly.

I find cotton T-shirts look better for longer than polyester mix ones. .Some of mine are years old now. As they go out on the line inside out that helps prevent fading too.

Gwyn