General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

They don't give up.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 10 Dec 2014 18:32

I got sent home early from work as I had lost my voice, I had just got in the door when the phone rang. I only answered it because I thought it might be the office.

It was a young lady wanting to ask me questions for a survey on. Home Security, she gave me the company name and I said I hadn't heard of them.

She asked me to repeat what I had said so I croaked it again and said I have lost my voice. She then asked me to speak up, I told her again that my voice has gone.

She then asked if I would mind answering a few quick questions. No I said, I can't. She then asked me to speak up.

Goodbye, I said, Huh!!!! Was her reply. Rude.

M.

Cooper

Cooper Report 10 Dec 2014 18:56

Hope your feeling better soon Maryanna. I have answered these types of calls before. When they ask if I am the home owner I usually say that I am the childminder or cleaner, it usually stops them in their tracks and not really a fib, ;-)

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 10 Dec 2014 19:01

Dear Maryanna and Copper

Hello to you both,

These people are such cheeky beggars.

I really don't know how they got hold of telephone numbers,
particularly if you are ex-directory.

Hope you will be feeling better very soon, Maryanna. <3

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth,
xx

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 10 Dec 2014 19:15

This is a new tactic to get around the cold call selling, which they can be fined for now I believe.
The usual ploy now is to start by saying we are NOT going to try and sell you anything but would you like to assist us by "answering a few question "we are just doing a short survey.
They then ask you things like what energy company do you use, or which television/telephone company etc, are you currently with.
This "survey" crap is a lead up to a ....
IF we can get you the same thing cheaper would you be interested... which boils down to ..

YES! you`ve got it, they are trying to sell you a product which undoubtedly they will receive a sales commission from.

Its called the "soft sell", although not illegal it is just as flaming irritating as the cold calls you receive.

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 10 Dec 2014 20:28

I normally like to wind them up and spin a yarn , like the chap who informed me there was a problem with Windows and I started banging on about double glazing and my computer being in front of a big window.

With no voice to answer back I couldn't play today !!

M. :-)

BrianW

BrianW Report 10 Dec 2014 21:42

I wound one up the other day when they rang asking if I had had a car accident in the last 3 years for which I hadn't received compensation.
So I said "Yes".
I was put through to the claims department where I asked them where they had got the information about my accident.
They said it was the UK police.
So I told the guy he was lying because I hadn't actually had an accident and don't bother calling again.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 10 Dec 2014 22:14

I had a phone call asking me in a well rehearsed spiel if I would be interested in solar panels for our house. I said we already had the panels - there was silence then he went through the whole spiel again :-S

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 10 Dec 2014 22:49

I received one yesterday relating to double glazing and conservatories.

"Have you had your windows replaced in the last 10 years" asks the girl

"No, because the house is less than 10 years old" was my response.

If they have "sales people in MY area" as the girl said , then they must know it's new build.!
Fibs

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Dec 2014 23:05

I had quite a pleasant conversation with a young man re solar heating as we've researched the idea and rejected it.
In the end I went into my TPS speil prefixed by saying I'd only spoken to him because he had an English accent. We parted on good terms :-)

A few months ago I felt sorry for someone and did their home lifestyle survey. They got the house number wrong. Now when people phone and give that address, I know exactly were it came from :-D