General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 11 Dec 2014 16:57

How do I convince OH that it is pointless having the heating going full blast in the room we are sitting in & leaving the door wide open.
We don´t have central heating so it´s a bit like moving round the arctic, in spite of what the British government think about the winter temperatures in Spain.
Even just heating one room , our last bill was €125 for 2 months & we didn´t start using the heating until November.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Dec 2014 17:26

If you mean the internal door, then perhaps he is hoping the rest of your home will benefit? Although it won't save money, how about having some form of heating on in the other rooms. Then you can turn down the heating in your sitting room.

On the other hand, if it's an external door, could you persuade him to open a window if he's concerned about a fug? Would CO monitors set his mind at rest if that is what he's worried about?

Any chance he is slightly agrophobic?
Edit - got it the wrong way round. Meant Claustrophobic, the fear of being enclosed (in eg a room) with no escape

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Dec 2014 17:46

If there's a draught coming from the door onto a chair make him sit there, he may then shut the door of his own accord :-) mindyou my door to the living room is open, I feel shut in otherwise so maybe he feels the same?

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 11 Dec 2014 18:01

men just don't feel the cold as much as us ladies do ;-) ;-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Dec 2014 20:06

My cat constantly finds himself on the wrong side of a closed door.

And if you do not understand Irish logic, I'd be delighted to explain.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Dec 2014 21:16

Keep slamming it shut when he leaves it open,,,,,,, :-D

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 11 Dec 2014 21:23

go on then dermot ill let you explain :-D :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Dec 2014 22:48

We have warm air central heating and we leave all the internal doors open it balances the heating as upstairs doesn't have the same force coming through the vents. We find it very efficient.

In the cooler nights before the heating goes on we do light the gas fire in the lounge and leave the lounge door open .It does take the edge off the cold in the other rooms

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 11 Dec 2014 23:27

My OH was born in a barn.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 11 Dec 2014 23:44

MY OH SAYS PUT ANOTHER JUMPER ON,,BUT I AM ,,I HAVE,,CANT PUT ANOTHER ONE ON ,,I'M FAT EMOUGH ALREADY I'D BE LIKE A BLIMP

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 12 Dec 2014 00:01

Dear Dizzi

Hello

With the layers of clothes, I look like a well-padded Michellin car person.

Hope all is well with you and everyone on this thread. <3

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth,
xx

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 12 Dec 2014 01:06

THANK YOU ELIZABETH XXX

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 12 Dec 2014 07:36

Lol Elizabeth, and Gwen, I am always a Michelin man in the cold weather, I put on so many layers even indoors as we only have a gas fire to heat the whole house, open plan staircase so some heat gets up from the lounge. There are some of those horrid little gas heaters in the bedrooms but they dry out the air I find and make so much dust. The one in the kitchen/diner doesn't work anymore but we do have a portable halogen heater to use as well if it gets really cold. I wear thick socks and soft fleecy boots indoors to keep my feet and ankles warm . Sometimes I even put a scarf round my neck lol

We keep the doors open so the warmth from the gas fire can get into the lounge/diner and up the stairs but it sometimes get overwarm and stuffy. Trouble is if I turn the gas fire off I can't always get it back on, and it's a noisy switch which is close to the floor so I get stuck when I get on my knees to put it back on lol

Lizx

wisechild

wisechild Report 12 Dec 2014 07:50

Spanish houses are built to keep the heat out, not in & because they have stone walls & ceramic floors they tend to be very humid.
Our only source of heating is an electric fire in the living room & an oil filled radiator in the dining room. Each room has to be heated individually, which costs a fortune.
I went to bed last night wearing a t shirt, cotton PJs & my dressing gown, plus a duvet, blanket & bedspread.
There is no gas on the island apart from bottled gas, which costs as much as electricity & the house has no chimney, so no option of a woodburner.
It´s bl***y cold.
Only way to keep a room reasonably warm is to shut the door (& yes, the cat doesn´t get the point)
We don´t need extra ventilation because none of the doors fit anyway. It´s an old house.

SueCar

SueCar Report 12 Dec 2014 10:18

Can you insulate your roof or ceiling somehow, wisechild?

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Dec 2014 00:39

I can understand your problem then, and also how you are 'dressing' for bed. I wear layers too. I have just ordered some nightshirts as an extra layer over my pjs and of course, I wear bedsocks. All I need is a Wee Willie Winkie hat lol

Lizx