General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christmas cake

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 17 Dec 2014 19:53

Hi all.
Just wondering if anyone can help me find a recipe for a Christmas cake my mother and grandmother used to make. Each year I regret not having asked them for the recipe and never found it amongst their cook books.
They were both from South Wales and I wonder if it was a popular recipe in the valleys.
It was a very light coloured fruit cake, quite crumbly and would keep for a couple of weeks. The recipes I have tried over the years always turn out too sweet. Their cake as I remember it was slightly sweet, getting most of the sweetness from the fruit. I also wonder if they used some lard in it.
All suggestions gratefully received

Happy Christmas Pat

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Dec 2014 20:12

could it be Lardy cake which is quite a traditional cake in Wales?

Lardy Cake Recipe | How to make Lardy Cake

hobbshousebakery.co.uk › Recipes › Sweet things

Here's how to make our amazing lardy cake recipe. A traditional cake from Gloucestershire made in our bakery in Gloucestershire, sold in volumes.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Dec 2014 20:13

there's a picture of one on this site

Fruity lardy cake recipe - goodtoknow - Easy recipes ...

www.goodtoknow.co.uk › Recipes

Looking for cake recipes, lardy cake recipes, fruitcake recipes, fruity lardy cake recipes or classic cake recipes? Make a cup of tea and put your feet up with this ...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Dec 2014 20:14

Recipes for Lardy Cake Recipe - Alldishes.co.uk

www.alldishes.co.uk/s/lardy-cake-recipe.html

Recipes for lardy cake recipe. On Alldishes.co.uk you'll find 17 recipes for lardy cake recipe as well as thousands of similar recipes.

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Dec 2014 20:17

I was wondering if it might be a boiled cake.

Patricia

Patricia Report 17 Dec 2014 20:20

thank you Ann, I will give this a try x

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 17 Dec 2014 23:15

I did wonder if it might be a version of Bara Brith, but that doesn't fit with the lard.

lavender

lavender Report 21 Dec 2014 00:05

Lardy cake is lovely as I remember, but more like a fruit bread, it's made with yeast.

Mary Berry did what looked like a lovely Genoa Cake on her Xmas Bakes recently on tv, but it would have been very sweet with 350g cherries and pineapple. Looked moist, though.