General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ten commandments

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Dec 2014 16:31

For those caring for hearing impaired people, friends and relatives.
I picked this up at the hearing clinic.

1. Get the person's attention before speaking.
2. Hearing impaired people need to see you clearly
3.Face the light and the person at all times.
4.Talk directly to hearing impaired people.
5.Speak clearly and not too fast. Repeat if necessary.
6. Do not hide your mouth when talking i.e. behind a newspaper, cup, or hand over mouth.
7. Do not shout into anyone's ear or hearing aid.
8. Avoid unnecessary noise (TV etc) when talking.
9. Include hearing impaired people in your converstion and let them know what you are talking about or laughing at.
10. Be Patient.

Dermot

Dermot Report 19 Dec 2014 16:51

Some of us with hearing aids would love to employ Thami Jantjie, the fake sign language interpreter, who was last seen at the Nelson Mandela memorial service gesticulating gibberish.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 19 Dec 2014 17:28

Oh Ann,,My daughter took her final Sign exam yesterday as some of her college students next year will include hearing impaired ,fingers crossed ....but she did know some as her friend is deaf,,,,,,they used to swear behind my back as youngsters and didnt think I would be able to tell.:-D :-D :-D :-D.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Dec 2014 17:29

Some 30 years ago we were having xmas lunch and my uncle was a bit merry. My granny was very hard of hearing though as sharp as a blade. Uncle: " You're a daft old bat aren't you Mary ? " "Aye, aye" says Mary.

She didn't make it to the next Christmas but to everybody's surprise left quite a bit in her will . Guess whoreceived exactly £ 1 ?

People may get deaf they don't become stupid with it. Pay attention.

Phyll

Phyll Report 20 Dec 2014 15:31

Thanks for this Ann. Have printed it off for my daughter , husband etc. One talks too fast, OH covers his mouth & grandchildren shriek in my ear. Maybe now I can hear a gentle conversation.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Dec 2014 17:31

Great advice Ann.

Having completely lost my hearing twice this year, when my ear-drum burst in my only 'good' ear, I relied alot on being able to see people and valued their understanding.
It became easier to isolate myself from some situations rather than try to explain the change in circumstances though.

What a relief when I regained at least some hearing again.

Gwyn

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Dec 2014 19:46

11th Commandment - Obey the other 10.

martynsue

martynsue Report 20 Dec 2014 20:05

ann I always follow these rules,my son was diagnosed hearing impaired after catching mumps of his elder sister,he was 5 at the time,in children they have lots of frustration problems,so iwould say if you see a child playing up in the supermarket look to see if they have hearing aids,my son used to get very upset with all the surrounding noises that the aids amplify.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Dec 2014 20:21

Yes, thank you for putting this up, I get very frustrated when people take the pee because I can't hear them, most often because there is back ground noise that hearing aids can't cut out, I then say to them I hope you lose your hearing, even to my son who tuts if he has to repeat himself.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Dec 2014 20:31

12. Don't get frustrated, but if you do, DON'T get angry/annoyed with the deaf person!!!