General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

One to tax the brain cells

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 20 Dec 2014 06:30

If when we shuffle off we meet up with our loved ones. What happens to all those second marriage partners ?

When Mum died last year somebody said she´ll be with your Dad now and I was thinking I really hope not ´cos Dad will string me up :-0.

But for those that remarried after being widowed would have loved both partners.

Could be amusing up there ! :-D

Kense

Kense Report 20 Dec 2014 08:51

Only a problem for those who believe the afterlife is some sort of continuation of this life.
Atheists obviously don't believe in any afterlife.
Christians presumably believe what Christ said in the gospels, i.e. that there is no marriage in the resurrection (e.g. Matthew 22, v23-33.)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Dec 2014 09:44

I suppose, if there is an afterlife, only the soul survives, and this could be many-faceted. Perhaps 'heaven' is where the soul(s) are reunited with the nicer aspects of the 'earthly' life.

....but then, the soul could be reincarnated into a 'lesser' being....

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Dec 2014 10:15

I 'think' if there is a meeting it will be the 'love' that survives? as in ( not going to put this well) not the romance or the sexual attraction or the exclusiveness of a relationship, but the very essence of it, the selflessness of love perhaps, and if you loved several people here you will love them better there and they you....and there won't be anger or jealousy or all the emotions that screw us up here?

On the other hand, there may be nothing and so it will only matter how much love you spread here and the ripples from it to those who remain.

jeez Uzzi lol heavy stuff before my third coffee of the day ;-)

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 20 Dec 2014 11:16

:-D :-D :-D at Rose I was only my 1st coffee ;-)

Graham

Graham Report 20 Dec 2014 13:32

If the government actually put a tax on brain cells, they wouldn't get much from me. :-)

If you've been married more than once, just think of meeting up with the mothers-in-law in the eternal afterlife. ;-)

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 20 Dec 2014 15:27

Ah but Graham I liked my previous mother in laws much more than the ex husbands. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Graham

Graham Report 20 Dec 2014 15:36

I suppose there's no guarantee that you'll end up in the same place :-0 :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Dec 2014 15:47

I don't know what happens, not much I would suppose, but I like to imagine that we each have our own Heaven.

My late ex will be with Roy Orbison for sure but Roy Orbison will be in a lot of other Heavens too but his own will have those who he wants in it.

Sometimes, to pass the time, I think who might be in mine, I certainly know who won't be but she will be with her parents who treated her like a little princess.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 20 Dec 2014 15:59

I am hoping to come back as a ginger tom cat, owned by a little old lady who dotes on me and feels she just can't bring herself to have my bits chopped off :-D :-D