General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

An open letter to Russell Brand

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Inky1

Inky1 Report 20 Dec 2014 10:20

Do you like Russell? If not, the recent longish blog by Jo Reeves is worth a read.
(Actually, I think it is worth a read anyway……)

http://blog.squandertwo.net/

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 Dec 2014 14:57

Speaking as somebody who has a close mate in a very senior position with RBS the blog is a pile of self regarding dog c rap.

I am not especially a fan of self publicists such as David Livingstone, Boris Johnson, Max Clifford, Russel Brand, Clarkson and so on and on but Brand does raise some relevant issues. He has certainly put a spoke in the wheel of the "let's sell London to the international financiers or even the Chinese communist govt" ramp led by Boris Johnson.

In particular as a guy with deep roots in north and east London it is great news that Westbrook has pulled out of the New Era deal in Hoxton. The bad publicity kicked off by Brand and his fellow Spaniards in the works has put Westbrook off. As it directly affects my daily life I am devastated at the plans of a convicted criminal for the Camden Lock/Market area. Strange friends Boris.

Getting back to RBS there has never been a cat's chance in hell of the taxpayer getting back their "investment" in RBS which is the ultimate bad bank a money pit or black hole. Nobody in the Treasury of any consequence ever believed in such a fairy tale.

Even now the cheapest and best taxpayer option would be to close it down in an orderly fashion. New banks with names such as William&Glynns, Martins and Westminster could be created from the wreckage. Lloyds is already calving and may go further. Far to go but at least on the right tracks.

Apart from the accounts which make Barclays, Lloyds and Tesco look paragons of financial virtue. RBS has a rotten internal culture which is beyond change. The ordinary workers at the "coal face" are as much victims as the taxpayer and "customers". Think FIFA for a parallel corporate culture.

There are only two major banks in the UK in which any kind of confidence may be lodged and neither are British owned and controlled. Inconvenience is only to be expected.