General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just joined

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

amanda

amanda Report 20 Dec 2014 13:41

Hi all has anyone got any advice on searching for families as iv not done this for years. x Thanks

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Dec 2014 13:45

Welcome Amanda.

Supply a few known family details & we'll try to put some 'flesh on the bones' for you - plus the odd hint as to how to proceed with your research.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Dec 2014 13:45

Hi Amanda, If you want to see if someone has your family members in their tree go to 'Search' at top right of page, you can also search records there ( if you have a full sub or credits...don't use credits if there are free alternatives ie BMDs on freebmd.org.uk)

If you want to do a quick search for a surname you can use 'quick search' to the left of the page.

Or if you need help with a specific family , post on Find Ancestors board and someone will try and help with look ups for you :-)

Graham

Graham Report 20 Dec 2014 13:46

Welcome to GR Amanda.
:-)

Have you read these tips from GR?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/static/syftwtips

(don't pay to much attention to hot matches - they haven't worked properly in ages)

Fly

Fly Report 20 Dec 2014 13:52

Welcome to the boards Amanda :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Dec 2014 14:16

Guess you know about the free sites like FreeBMD ,Family Search etc

If you have Scottish relatives then you need Scotlands People which isn't a subs site but very reasonable

You could also ask for help on the Find Ancestors and Find Living Relative boards

amanda

amanda Report 20 Dec 2014 15:36

Thanks all xx <3

amanda

amanda Report 20 Dec 2014 15:37

What is freebmd?

amanda

amanda Report 20 Dec 2014 15:39

I am researching my mum's family Mclaughlan. My granda's name is Francis and my gran Mary Ellen Brady (maiden name) x

Graham

Graham Report 20 Dec 2014 15:41

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Dec 2014 15:43

an idea of years would help

amanda

amanda Report 20 Dec 2014 16:04

Sorry!!!! My grandfather born in 1901 gran born 1907 my great grand father john mclaughlan born 1868 xx

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 20 Dec 2014 16:06

When I first joined GR I really didn't know much about where to look or even what it was I should be looking for so I spent a few weeks/months just reading the boards so I could pick up hints and tips from other members' questions and the subsequent answers.
Since those days the board names have changed, but in essence the site is much the same, so I would suggest you concentrate on looking at, say, Genealogy Chat and Find Ancestors for a while and you will be surprised at how much you can learn. The knowledge you can gain from this site will set you in good stead for future research - it certainly put me on the right road and has served me well over the years.

Post your questions and you will get answers, some even come back in a matter of minutes! The GR members are very helpful and knowledgeable, the best ones taking the time and trouble to explain how they got their results which is far more helpful (in my opinion) as that also allows you to learn how to do it yourself. Some prefer to hurry to copy & paste a result but don't take you through the journey of how to get there, which I guess is fine if you are not particularly interested in the research bit, but need answers to build your tree quickly.
Good luck :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Dec 2014 16:16

Just for ref from tree on Ancestry ( unsourced)

It is Scottish records that will be needed i think

francis mclaughlan
Birth 13/10/1901 in Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom

john mclaughlan
Birth 16/02/1863 in Northumberland, England, United Kingdom

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 20 Dec 2014 18:55

The link to ScotlandsPeople...

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 20 Dec 2014 19:41

Hi Amanda