General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Future genealogists, have you made it hard.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 22 Dec 2014 17:41

Chasing the census and finding changed names without marriage etc etc. It made me realise how difficult it would be for future genealogists to find me.

I was never in the same area from birth. As I got older I didnĀ“t keep the same name and then I upped and moved to Spain. I put some crazy religions down. No children for them to look for.
So I guess I will be written off as the batty Aunt :-D :-D :-D

How easy will you be to trace ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Dec 2014 18:45

Too easy!

With the exception of a few years, we've both lived our lives within 15 miles of our PoB.

Our second child was born 'out of area', but with an uncommon mmn he shouldn't be too hard to track.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Dec 2014 18:54

I'm like DetEcTive.

Lived in the same house since marrying only about 8 or 9 miles from where I was born. My two boys were born in the area and my maiden name is uncommon (at least in this area) so they shouldn't be hard to find.

Mind you, my siblings are flung far and wide so they will be a bit more difficult.

The only thing I've done is opt out of the commercially available Electoral Roll so future generations might not realise I am still at the same address.

Kath. x

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 22 Dec 2014 19:02

I have been like a Nomad. From North London to Bedfordshire with many detours along the way and everyone of my children born in different places. Also married twice in completely different areas

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Dec 2014 19:03

Both my brothers were born and christened in Malta, so not on birth registers.
Sister born and christened in Gosport
I was born in Worthing, but not christened.
I moved 28 times before I was 30 - but have lived here over 25 years.
Sister attended 14 schools, I attended 7 - so school records will be a bit difficult.
I've kept my (fairly common) married name. I had an unusual maiden name.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 22 Dec 2014 19:06

Thumbs up to La Gooner ! :-D I am so glad I am not the only one !

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 22 Dec 2014 19:07

You most definitely are not Uzzi :-D :-D :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 22 Dec 2014 19:36

I'll be untracable too. Woo hoo :-D :-D :-D

With no offspring who's going to bother? :-D :-D :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 22 Dec 2014 19:38

Island we do bother looking until we are sure there are no offsprings ..

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Dec 2014 19:40

Ha! They'll wonder where I've been.

I was born in Scotland, parents emigrated to Oz when I was 12.

I left Oz in 1986.......... gadabout for about five years....... back to Oz for about three years, left again..... gadabout for another five or six years. Back to Oz.... Lived down south for a couple of years, then moved waaaaay north, nowhere near any other rellies.

Ofcourse I wasn't on the census records in Oz during the years I was away.

No kids.

I'm another batty aunt.

:-D

Island

Island Report 22 Dec 2014 19:47

A good time to look into the future to see who that mystery person might be and leave them a copy of my tree :-D :-D :-D

Come to think of it, as genealogy has been such a popular pastime in the last decade...........will anyone need to research their tree?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 22 Dec 2014 21:26

I've moved around a bit, and, after I divorced, decided I didn't want to use either my married surname or to revert to my maiden surname, so I just took on the surname of my choice by statutory declaration (not related to any partner etc).

So I may end up being someone's lost great great aunt some day...

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 22 Dec 2014 21:55

I can't think it would be very easy to trace me.

Moved house as a child, so I would be on census of '61 and '71, but recorded in very different areas of the UK.
Then, by the time I was in my early 20's I was travelling and working abroad.
I think perhaps I may have been in the UK when the 1991 census took place, working in London for a bit, and then I went back abroad.
I married overseas so no record of my marriage would be in UK records.
I didn't change my name on marriage, but I wouldn't show up on any census since I married anyway as I still live abroad.
I have no offspring so can't imagine anyone will bother looking for "batty old auntie Karen who used to potter around doing the family tree or something" :-) :-S

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 22 Dec 2014 22:20

lol@at my camel friend

Tawny

Tawny Report 22 Dec 2014 22:31

I won't be too difficult to find. Born in England as was my sister but the first census we appear on is the 91 census in Scotland and though we've house a few times in Scotland we're still in the same city we were in on the 91 census.

My parents would definitely be more interesting having moved between England and Scotland more than once and they spent the first five months of marriage with mum in England and Dad in Scotland as my mother was about to start second year at college. The only way she could move from England to Scotland in the 70s without repeating first year again was if her husband changed jobs and it took five months for the transfer to come through.