General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Things are not always as they appear!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 22 Dec 2014 18:38

I bought a massive cauliflower and was so looking forward to having this with my dinner tonight.

I started to cut away the outer leaves and, ...I just kept cutting, until I finally located my veg.
It was no bigger than a large apple!
So much cheese sauce, so little cauliflower
:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 22 Dec 2014 18:44

I have been caught out like that before. :-|

Now, I always delve between the leaves to make sure there is actually a cauli inside the flower!

:-D

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Dec 2014 19:20

That interested me because here in Canada all leaves are cut off the cauliflower before they're sold. You can see exactly what you're buying.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Dec 2014 19:31

Same in Oz...... I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't see it!

:-D

Cauli here is twice the price of brocolli..... so I usually do a broc/cauli with cheese sauce.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 22 Dec 2014 22:02

My cauli cost 77p in Asda!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Dec 2014 22:34

When I was an ag lab/worked in a spud packing factory, one of our jobs was cutting cabbages and cauliflowers. I always cut them slightly high, so the grotty leaves were cut off. No matter how hard my foreman tried to show me the 'proper' way (ie leave as much crud/muddy leaves on as possible), I just couldn't get the hang of it ;-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 22 Dec 2014 23:06

I find there is less waste using frozen cauli and broccoli, it's fresher and I can cook as much or as little as I need. If I do get a fresh one I use some of the leaves too

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Dec 2014 23:40

GlasgowLass......... send me a cauli for Christmas lol :-D

No idea why they are so expensive here....... I think I paid $5 for the last one.

Robbery!

Broccoli yesterday was $3.98 per Kilo.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 23 Dec 2014 00:31

That is really expensive Ladyscozz.

I'm not a lover of frozen veg and I detest frozen carrots.
I buy fresh veg and store it, in a box, on a shelf in the garage.
It's freezing in there at the moment, so it keeps for a long time

I am however, a convert to Aldi's frozen mash at 67p a bag
I don't think I've mashed a boiled potato since last Christmas

:-D :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Dec 2014 01:35

I don't like frozen veg either, the only one I buy frozen is peas.... but usually use the dried peas.

Everything goes in the fridge here, even in winter. I buy fruit every few days, because it gets over-ripe so fast in the hot weather.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Dec 2014 11:48

I have become acclimatised to getting my food from Supermarkets,
and not visiting farm markets or the like.
I recently obtained a sack of Potatoes in a sack, from a farm.....

they don't come already washed? in approximate similar sizes ?

Well, I'll go to the foot of the stairs.....LOL

One spud would likely feed a family of four for a week!!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 Dec 2014 04:26

Frozen veg is prepared and frozen so quickly that it retains more vitamins than stuff that's been transported long distances and then sometimes stuck in a warehouse before being put out for sale. No waste either

Lizx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 Dec 2014 04:26

Frozen veg is prepared and frozen so quickly that it retains more vitamins than stuff that's been transported long distances and then sometimes stuck in a warehouse before being put out for sale. No waste either

Lizx