General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why................

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 23 Dec 2014 06:04

do they make cough syrup so awful tasting that you refuse to use it? Would it hurt them to make syrup that is chocolate tasting, or peppermint.

3 sleeps til Santa and I have a cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which Dad gave to Mum and she gave to me.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Dec 2014 06:56

Because some eejits think it's fun to get "high" and they drink lots of it.

:-|

I guess if you're that desperate, you don't care about the taste.

patchem

patchem Report 23 Dec 2014 07:04

Possibly the active ingredients of the syrup taste disgusting, and unfortunately adding peppermint or chocolate would not disguise that taste?

Do cough medicines actually work - I thought lots of evidence says that you just have to wait and it will clear without any intervention?

Just take honey if it makes you feel better, or chocolate, or peppermint. :-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 Dec 2014 09:44

The obnoxiousness of any medicine is in direct proportion to its effectiveness.

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Dec 2014 09:45

Ah back to the days when the worse it tasted the more good it was doing you? 'Owbridges Lung Tonic' the vilest concoction known to man, but after one night of hallucinations it worked every time lol.

Some of the childrens' cough medicines are quite nice to take, the ones with raspberry flavouring seem to be the best for taste.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 23 Dec 2014 09:58

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
The medicine go down, the medicine go down
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
In a most delightful way!

:-D

Hope you feel better real soon. x

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Dec 2014 10:24

A pleasant linctus that works is called "simple" Available from most chemists. It actually tastes nice and soothes the coughing.

Or good old fresh lemon juice, honey, glycerine and hot water...always does the trick.

Unfortunately, there is no real"cure" for a common cold only time and generally after 48 hours, the germs do fade away.

Hope you do feel better for christmas day.

Florence
in the hebrides :-)

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 23 Dec 2014 11:02

I believe they do that sort of thing to stop toddlers who happen to get hold of an opened bottle. They will then spit it out because of the taste. (strong medicines could be harmful to small children) :-)