General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whaaat??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2014 13:22

Just had a cold call..........
About cold calls :-S

He confirmed my name and said:
'I believe you're getting a lot of cold calls'
I replied:
'Not many, you're the first today'

..and put the phone down.

'Googled' the number.
Apparently, for a 'fee' (paid for by Direct Debit), they can stop cold callers. I'm not as green as I am cabbage looking :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 23 Dec 2014 13:24

maggiewinchester :-) well done you :-D

Merlin

Merlin Report 23 Dec 2014 13:26

You offered him a Cold Cure. :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Dec 2014 13:27

Thats a new one. What ever they are selling probably doesn't work anyway!

Had fun yesterday - Indian accent, you know the drill. Everytime he finished speaking I said ' 'Ello? 'Ello? " with a stronger Estuary English accent each time :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 Dec 2014 13:36

Christmas can be a lonely time for 'cold callers' too. They just want to hear another human's voice.

Sometimes, I encourage the caller to tell me more & I throw in the odd quirky question to test their ability to think on their feet.

If I ever feel they are 'getting the better of me' in the conversation, I ask if we could continue the discussion in French. Sadly, I got caught out once using that ploy - my French is putrid & I wasn't so 'smart' after all.

So, you see - I have nothing better to do other than add to GR threads like this one. But I am rarely rude to cold callers or, indeed, to fellow scribblers on these boards.

Long may friendly conversations continue.

Sally

Sally Report 23 Dec 2014 14:13

had one today asked if they could speak to me I said what for ........they put the phone down

sorted :-0

sally w <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Dec 2014 15:29

I had two of those calls in one day

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 24 Dec 2014 09:55

more a cold knock on the door,

many years ago when our children were "just" in school, a guy knocked on the door " we are in the area, just doing a survey" and we're not selling anything..

I'm not buying anything , I says, so he says that's ok, if we could just do the survey, so I lets him in and for a good half hour he's filling in these tick box thingy's all to do with children's education, and learning at home stuff........which I was ok to do, and at the end, he says "well that came out alright, you've filled that in ok, now, my company has a self teaching program..........etc, and he got most irate because I stuck to my word and wouldn't "buy into" his learning program...

I said "I told you I wasn't buying anything," ....G'bye.....

Bob

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2014 10:41

I never let anyone into the house now.
Years ago some representatives from N-Power came round - I'd just change suppliers - from them to another.
At the time, you got a financial bonus if you received both your electricity and gas from N-Power, which I did. Unfortunately, they'd spelt my surname wrong (W instead of an N) on one of the bills, so I never received the bonus, so I left.
These two were trying to get me to go back to N-Power. I explained about not receiving the bonus - they tried to fob me off, and said if the bills were under 2 names there was nothing they could do.
I persisted, explained that THEY had made a spelling mistake, and asked how they could pretend the bills were under 2 names, when both bills were paid from the same (single named) account etc etc.
They ignored me, and carried on with their sales talk.
When I then asked them to leave, as I didn't like being in the presence of representatives of thieves and liers, they got a bit stroppy. This made me see red - how dare they!
I picked up the phone, and told them that, as they weren't leaving when asked to do so, they were now trespassing, pressed a button on the phone 3 times and pretended to ask for the police.
They left.

Had there been computers in those days, I would have complained, but as it cost an arm and a leg to phone them, I'm afraid I did nothing.