General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This has just been on the news

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Dec 2014 18:41

and I thought it deserved a mention. Well done to Betty :-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11310550/Pensioner-Betty-Williams-hosts-Christmas-lunch-for-lonely-strangers.html

Mersey

Mersey Report 23 Dec 2014 18:48

A very special lady <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Dec 2014 18:56

lovely story

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Dec 2014 19:32

Saw that isn't she lovely?

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 23 Dec 2014 20:05

She certainly has shown the real spirit of Christmas..what a lovely gesture :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Dec 2014 21:25

Unfortunately, the lonely people will still be by themselves on Christmas Day.
Never-the-less a lovely guesture. Donations of £4000 have been received to repeat the lunch in future years.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 23 Dec 2014 22:14

Christmas day. I suspect that there are few lonely people in my own area.

For years now, the Parish Church hosts a Christmas dinner in the Church hall. Members of my family are just a small part of a large group of helpers. There are many roles played. Taxis (from home to Church & back), Walkers (from taxi up the path to the hall & back). Meeters&Greeters. Cloakroom staff. Cooks. Table hosts. Servers. Wine waiters. Washers up. Etc, etc..
This is a combined effort of all religious denominations.
It means that again this year we will have our own Christmas meal sometime late in the afternoon. And in the case of my OH, who is a table host, a second Christmas meal!
I doubt that ours is the only parish to do this. But not down in Ottery St. Mary......

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Dec 2014 22:36

That is true charity Inky on such a special day , <3