General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help. Ancestry changes .co.uk to .com!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 24 Dec 2014 10:47

I can't get into .co.uk. I have a World sub and when I try .co.uk it changes me to .com.

I can still find what I want from there but there is so much unwanted info when I know my search only involves the UK.

I have tried going in via bookmarks and via Google but it changes to .com every time.

Anyone else got this problem or a remedy

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Dec 2014 10:59

They are running freebies at the moment so they may be re- directing onto the .com site through sheer volume of searches.

I remain logged in because I only put my laptop to sleep so I don't know if others have the problem.

Hope you get it sorted.

Sue

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Dec 2014 11:06

Right hand side on the home page, near the bottom, there is a small drop down box 'Visit our other sites' . See if that works.

Another suggestion is, from the home page, 'Search all records'. Make sure you've selected 'only records from UK and Ireland' then search as usual.

When searching as usual, you may have to edit and repeat opting only for UK & Ireland. It is a pain isn't it?

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 24 Dec 2014 11:28

Thanks Det.. and super crutch
I don't normally log out either but last week I got rid of cookies etc and it took my passwords out so I had to sign in again and since then Ancestry takes me to .com

I have selected UK in the bottom right drop down menu but it doesn't make any difference.

Your suggestion on UK records in search partially works but if I edit in "Somewhere your ancestor may have lived" to England it stays in .com but gives me English records first. As you say it is a pain as there is a lot of messing about to get where I want to be

wisechild

wisechild Report 24 Dec 2014 12:16

Been having problems with the site for over a week.
I do log out, but instead of being able to log back in as usual I get an offer for a free trial. If that doesn´t happen, I get a message telling me I would be better using .com rather than co.uk, which I have always used.
I have premium membership & have had for years.
Not keen on the new searches either.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 24 Dec 2014 12:42

Wisechild, I think once you say yes to the "you would be better using .com" message you are doomed and can't get out of it again.

wisechild

wisechild Report 24 Dec 2014 13:56

I agree.
That´s why I haven´t.
Had co.uk for years & will stick with it until I.m kicked out.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 24 Dec 2014 14:12

Just read this thread.
Opened a new tab and clicked Ancestry in my favourites.
.co.uk opened ok.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 24 Dec 2014 16:25

Inky have you got a World subscription? Maybe if you haven't it stays on UK. I have world and I watch it change on its own in the search box from .UK that I have requested to .com

Inky1

Inky1 Report 25 Dec 2014 14:03

Yes, I have World.
Today I had opened Ancestry before anything else. Again, no problems for me.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 25 Dec 2014 14:27

My problems were when using Safari on my iPad. I have now opened Ancestry sung Chrome with no problems at all but I haven't has the message abot .com being better for me either