General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Salt...................

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 29 Dec 2014 11:50

Yesterday we were at a friends for Sunday lunch, the topic arose of when to add salt to food. Neither OH or I take salt , so I do not add it when cooking, but I do always put condiments on the table, a couple of other people said the same. However, one lady was most emphatic she didn't fancy the taste of the food unless salt was added when cooking.

OH said " a bit of what you fancy does you good"................. I think he was referring to the salt ;-) ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Dec 2014 12:35

My mum always used to add salt when cooking, as did I, until I started feeding my children solids.
Now, the only thing I add salt to when cooking, is potatoes I'm either going to roast, or mash.
I found mashed potato quite unpleasant unless I added salt when cooking, I couldn't understand this, as I used to love mash.
Took me years before I realised the difference salt whilst cooing made :-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Dec 2014 12:37

we got used to not salting food when I got an all singing/dancing microwave and did loads of cooking in it

Microwave instructions are not to add salt to recipes etc for cooking in them

I steam my veg now and never salt anything we dont even put the condiments on the table now If I want to pepper anything I am having, I put in on before i put my plate on the table

You get used to non salting and I wouldnt ever go back to it

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Dec 2014 12:42

We never add salt when cooking and rarely add it after. Only on chips.

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Dec 2014 13:18

I salt my food and don't like food without salt.

Rather die young from eating salt than have to live a long time eating food without it.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Dec 2014 13:40

always salt my veg when cooking

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 29 Dec 2014 13:48

I salt veg when cooking, but only a little. Potatoes, though, get more salt - mash, especially, is like wallpaper paste without it! I don't add it at the table, other than on chips, but I do like a good grinding of pepper.

Sue

Sue Report 29 Dec 2014 14:03

I dont salt anything before or after cooking. My Mother always did but i dont like the taste.
I do add loads of black pepper though.!!

I would always put condiments on the table for others so at least they have their choice.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 29 Dec 2014 14:45

I don't salt my food but when I was in hospital recently the food was very salty and they even gave you salt to add to your food. The puddings were too sweet and they gave you sachets of sugar to add to it.... Not very healthy food at all

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Dec 2014 16:58

As salt is supposed to be bad for high cholesterol and BP, I've never added it whilst cooking. If someone tastes at the table then decides to sprinkle it on, that's up to them.

I do get cross if they do it automatically!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Dec 2014 20:07

I got told off in school cookery lessons for not adding salt to my food - that was back in 1967/8

Still do not like salt or pepper on my food

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Dec 2014 20:44

how about adding a sprinkle of soda, or sugar to your cabbage, while cooking it?

Bob

I peel potatoes into portions, put them into a pot of salted water.......(to stop em going brown) and then they are maybe roasted, and water thrown away, or if going to be boiled, they are done in the same water....but don't add any to the meal on the plate..

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 29 Dec 2014 20:49

i add a pinch of sugar to carrots and sprouts...

:-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Dec 2014 20:50

My mother always bad blood pressure problems, so she never put salt on food, but the S&P were on the table.

I don't put salt on anything, hate it!

When we first met, DH horrified me by shaking a snowstorm of salt onto his plate before he'd even tasted anything. Fixed that by emptying the salt shaker and putting rice in it... he heard the rattle and thought there was salt.

Now he puts a little salt on chips and tomatoes.

I tried salt-free bread once........ horrible! So I guess I do have salt when I eat bread.

I do like black pepper though. yum.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Dec 2014 00:09

I was horrified to learn that, when living in Malta (I was aged 1 - 4) we children were given salt tablets to counteract dehydration!!!!
It wasn't THAT hot.

Dermot

Dermot Report 30 Dec 2014 08:39

From January 1st, the Welsh health authority has issued salt cellar instructions in an effort to curtail its excessive use.

All salt cellars must have no more than one hole for dispensing its contents instead of the current three holes.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 30 Dec 2014 09:36

thought the norm, was one hole for salt, and several for pepper?

Dermot

Dermot Report 30 Dec 2014 13:35

Bobtanian - not been in a Welsh chippy lately?