General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old family photographs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Jan 2015 03:20

Do you have any?

I have a few, and treasure them, but I don't think I have (and I wouldn't want) any like these...........

http://www.littlethings.com/people-in-the-1800s-did-this-with-dead-bodies/?vpage=1

:-0

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Jan 2015 04:37

Noooo, that's awful, but I suppose the fact that there were no previous photos of the deceased means they want a likeness to cling to. Macabre the way the photos are staged tho

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Jan 2015 05:37

I think it's creepy....... to say the least.

:-(

I wonder if the little girl (photographed with her dead sister) had nightmares?

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jan 2015 06:49

As it was explained to me ' death was to the 19c what sex was to the 20th'.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 5 Jan 2015 08:59

I know someone who has a photo of their stillborn baby hanging on the wall. Older child was encouraged to talk to it . Weird or what :-0 :-0 :-0

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Jan 2015 10:00

very weird, rather disturbing actually.

:-0

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 5 Jan 2015 11:08

I have a photo of my wife's brother who died in 1951 taken/staged just after his death.
He was only a few weeks old at the very most. (could possibly have been days old, not certain without getting both certificates)
He`s just lying on what looks to be a cot bedspread, with his head resting on a makeshift pillow, Just looks like he`s sleeping.
It may seem macabre to some folk, but it`s all there is to show he was ever here.
My wife`s mother had kept it in her possession until the day she died in 1993.

Linda

Linda Report 5 Jan 2015 20:39

I agree LadyScozz very disturbing but there are a lot of things that we don't do now that we were still doing in the 60s and 70s granted not has bad as that.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 5 Jan 2015 21:47

Well we all have to start somewhere. Deads don't move very much.

One of my rellies was a late Victorian photographer who got started with this sort of thing. He also did photography for the police inc executions. Aaaagh.

He married a bit late and didn't have any kids so somehow all his plates and negatives pre-Fleet Street ended up with us. I was aware of the dead children photos and thought it very creepy. We (well my father ) tried finding the rels. of some of them but nobody wanted the pix so he gave up trying.

Rellie went on to work for a Fleet St newspaper and made a very good living which he spent of flying and malt whiskey, a risky combination..

A bit earlier and here is another Victorian photographer whose business was carried on by his daughter. Thanks to the baptist connection they made a pile of money out of funeral/marriage/baptism photos inc deads which the web site is too polite to feature. I hope people recall my link to grand dad Munster.
http://www.cartedevisite.co.uk/photographers-category/biographies/s-to-z/starbuck-john/

Ah ... our ancestors lived on another planet far far away. Sometimes I have to pinch myself that I knew real live Victorians who remembered a world without aeroplanes, radio and supermarkets. They seemed normal though my GF was fond of describing Parsee funerals. No illustrations thank god.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 5 Jan 2015 23:20

Gives me the creeps

Linda

Linda Report 6 Jan 2015 00:20

One of my rellies was also a Victorian photographer in the 1890s but me being a bit thick never gave it a thought that he would do that kind of work and hes got a well known name has well, just goes to show we have to be careful how we act in this life because we don't know is coming after us :-D :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 Jan 2015 01:37

Oh gawd, I just remembered.......... we have a photograph of DH's gg? grandparents, taken in the late 1800s........ I always said his gg?grandad looked a bit "off".

They were very pious Cornish Methodists........ not sure if they would have photographs like this taken.

I won't be looking too closely.

:-(