General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Silver cushion

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 11 Jan 2015 11:59

We have been told our little six and a quarter ( the quarter is important) grandson he is an extremely bright and gifted little boy. They have just called in back from swimming. His Daddy asked him to tell us what had happened at school last week. J had been chosen as "The star of the day" for two days, and had to sit on the Silver Cushion all day, (except at playtime ) I asked what this was; and he said its when you have been the best in the class, and you should feel proud. I have never heard of this before. When my son was his age they had a star at the end of their work, and after five stars they received a badge. How times change.

Barbra

Barbra Report 11 Jan 2015 13:31

I remember the stars in the books way back .when my two sons went to school .aw bless him .the quarter will be very important to the little man :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 11 Jan 2015 14:02

Polly... <3 <3 awwwww

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Jan 2015 14:47

never had stars - but a big tick and v.g. in red ink was good enough for me :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Jan 2015 17:06

Well done little man, youa re right to be proud of him Paula. <3

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 11 Jan 2015 20:49

Ann we already are proud of them. We have five beautiful little grandchildren and three grown up granddaughters all delightful and special to us in their own way.

<3 <3 <3

Tawny

Tawny Report 11 Jan 2015 21:11

When I was at school the whole school was separated into houses Lomond, Katrine and Ranoch. We earned merits for very good work (just red Ms on your work) at the end of the year all the merits were counted and the house with most merits won the school cup and the house name was engraved with year. Only 120 pupils in my whole school aged 5-18.

When my brother went to school seven years later Friday was a half day in the primary school ages 5-11 and the last 45 mis of the day was golden time when they could do what they wanted in the classroom. Rather than reward good behaviour bad behaviour lost you golden time 5 mins for each wrong doing.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 11 Jan 2015 22:38

Tawny. We had the same system, our houses were Pattison(Orange) Carless (Blue) mine was Jerome ( Green) Everything was built around the merit system, and healthy competition was encouraged all activities were included, academic, music. sport, behaviour and appearance. I seem to remember that Pattison always did well at sports There was a Pie Chart on the wall in the assembly hall which was coloured appropriately, so you could see how well your house was doing in the merit league. I also remember we used to have to polish our desks and chairs on Friday afternoons, the teachers would walk round and inspect your desks. Not a sign of a Silver Cushion. :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 12 Jan 2015 04:11

the only cushions at school were the ones the boys wanted, after they'd been caned :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 12 Jan 2015 04:18

I think it's good to encourage children to some extent as long as the less able don't get to fell demoralised.

It's often hard to give gifted children all they need at school so I hope your little grandson continues to feel happy at school.

Lizx

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 12 Jan 2015 23:50

Dear Polly

Hello

Congratulations to your grand-son of 6 years and a quarter.

Well done to him. :-)

Take gentle care
With best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 13 Jan 2015 09:08

Hello Elizabeth

Thank you for your kind comments.

The boys came to see us after school yesterday and OH was teasing both of the them dreadfully. J came to me in the kitchen and said Grandma, I think you should put Grandad on the naughty step. <3 <3 <3