General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Narrow Escape

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Jan 2015 21:42

We were having our weekly bell ringing practice tonight when at 20 past 8 the lights went out.
It was a local power cut.
Five out of the six ringers managed to stand their bells in the pitch dark and the sixth kept it under some sort of control until someone got a torch on.
It was a miracle that no-one got caught up in a rope and was injured or worse. All seven of us in the tower at the time were in serious danger.
Our vicar came over and I impressed on her that the installation of emergency lighting is a priority: next time we might not be so lucky!

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 14 Jan 2015 21:47

That was a close shave Brian :-0 :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2015 22:32

Dodgy!!
Must have been tricky getting out of the tower too.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Jan 2015 22:34

oooer - for whom the bell tolls

glad you're all safe

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Jan 2015 22:40

The ringing chamber is on the ground floor so no problem there, Maggie.
I've alerted our local Association to suggest that towers at least leave a torch or battery powered lamp on when ringing at night.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Jan 2015 23:53

you need "'elf and safety" on the job :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 15 Jan 2015 08:11

My word...someone could have got quite a headache there Brian. I'll check with our belltower captain to see if they have a backup system.

I was going to say "Thanks for the heads up" - but thought better of it :-D

ps I adore church bells......good wishes to your bellringers... :-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 15 Jan 2015 09:21

So glad your all safe and sound...