General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'The Undateables'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 14 Jan 2015 21:52

What a cruel name for a tv programme.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 14 Jan 2015 21:58

I can't watch it!
Saw just a few minutes of this last week and I turned it off.
I find the concept cruel.

I notice that so many of these programmes ( gypsy brides etc) have comedy type music running through them too!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 Jan 2015 22:06

Some lovely people have been featured.

lavender

lavender Report 14 Jan 2015 22:37

Yes, am just watching on catch up. Some really lovely people, Glitter. <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Jan 2015 23:26

Not the best of titles but quite a good programme in that it helps the viewers understand how people with autism for example relate to the world and the practicalities of certain handicaps. Even the people who run the dating agency have problems so understand the difficulties.

Everyone deserves the chance to have a loving relationship and I like to see how the people gel with their dates. I hope some of them at least find happiness and security. They deserve it.

Lizx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jan 2015 07:32

Watched it for the first time last evening and longed to tell the girl with excess sweating problems that it can be helped. There is an operation that can be done that cuts some of the nerves I think that stops the excessive sweating

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Jan 2015 08:59

'How often & on what inadequate data do we sometimes misjudge one another!'

Mea culpa!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Jan 2015 22:28

At least the agencies give the people a way to meet others in the same boat, who probably would never have met otherwise due to lack of social contacts perhaps when many are too shy to go out to the usual haunts like pubs and nightclubs

Lizx

lavender

lavender Report 16 Jan 2015 23:06

It is a very good idea for those vulnerable to be chaperoned. I enjoy watching how sweet they are, but not sure it is right for them to be screened and possibly ridiculed by some who see them?

It certainly makes one feel for their parents, noticing all the challenges they face.

But is there not an element of voyeurism?

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 17 Jan 2015 11:18

Does not most reality TV contain an element of voyeurism? When it comes down to it the people on the show agreed to be on it, their choice. The show could help other people understand the life and problems of these "undateables" and if it can help give understanding instead of mockery then good for them. Yes the title of the show is cruel and unfortunate but if it was called something nice and "cute" I would wonder at how many would watch the programme to begin with.

Myself I have never watched it.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Feb 2015 22:19

A lovely programme tonight to end the series.

Wish them all well for the future.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Feb 2015 22:22

I'm in tears here -Brent has just proposed to Challis :-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Feb 2015 22:40

Its what the people think of themselves,they belive they are Undateable,,,,,,which proves with a little wing speading how wrong they are in their thinking.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Feb 2015 00:28

A lovely programme tonight, great to see the proposals, the wedding and the new baby. It will give hope to others who have problems and shows them ways to behave with others with their limitations. I don't mean to sound patronising, but telling someone what to do or say does not always sink in the way watching someone doing things will do.

I feel for parents who have to support their young people much longer than usual.

Lizx